Installing a home server - any advice?

Hi , my friends,

After following the advice of our friend László

I realized that the old PC (headless PC) that I was using to work as a server is consuming ~40w in idle, which is ~1kWh per day, which, for me, is very high.

I changed the governors, including for powersave and limited the freq to 800MHz,
I changed the CPU too, but the minimum I got was always ~40w.

So I’ve decided to take two steps back, start all over again and, with the help of my family, I’m awaiting the arrival of an N100 mini PC, whose N100 has a TDP of 6W (the total power consumption of the device remains to be seen).

I didn’t dislike Ubuntu Server, on the contrary, and before it, I’d already tested with DietPi, but as said before, I’ll like to done from scratch but in this matter I can take two steps back too, and I still want to do some more tests on the old PC, even to try out other distros for home servers.

In short: I’m a bit lost, and I’m asking for your opinion.

I know that many of you have servers. The main function of my server, as I said in my first post, is to learn.

My question is: Is there a distro that you recommend to test on the server and eventually use it?
Debian, for example?

So far I’ve mentioned distros based on Debian, because it’s the architecture I’m most comfortable working with, but I’ll be able to test other distros.

As a note: I’m quite curious about testing Devuan, because
the little I know is with systemd and I hope to start this project soon too.

Thank you very much for your help
Have a nice Sunday

Jorge

2 Likes