Installing a home server - any advice?

Hi my friend Howard,
Thanks so much for the link you sent.

In fact, I know about that thread, because I’ve been trying to make the 2nd version of my server for some time now, I even considered buying the Odroid HC4 that László mentioned and later an Intel N100, but so far it hasn’t been possible, with my health condition getting worse and worse since July and sick leave status for January.
(sorry for venting. Please don’t comment)

As I got a bit better this week, I decided to do something from scratch with what I have at home, but I’m trying not to use a ready-made solution, in other words, I’m trying to figure out all the steps to have a minimally functioning headless server, regardless of the programs I use, for example: today, I’ve been looking at log rotation settings, testing again how the firewall works, trying to figure out how to use tshark and tcpdump, arp, IGMP, change rsyslog settings, things I’ve never heard or tested so far and I’m seeing how the server is working.

To all my forum users friends…

I’m trying to figure out how to make the server minimally secure and how to administer it, but it’s a whole new world for me and I’m afraid of not doing something crucial because I just don’t know. Let’s say I’m trying to study what is needed for the minimum security of a server and how to administer/manage it.

The help I’m asking for is not to teach me, just tips and I will study how to do or implement, for example, a simple one that I had to correct and it never occurred to me to do it in Linux Mint: I turned off access to IPv6 because there was a delay in loading a module during boot and I configured the server for IPv4 only and have IPv6 turned off on the router.Another example is that the firewall is giving multicast log errors every ± 2 minutes. When I looked at the Linux Mint firewall log, I got the same errors and never paid attention to it.

I believe that what I’m doing may even be exaggerated, because Ubuntu Server should have a good configuration as a server, but I just want to learn something more and not have an operating system and install programs and use it with the server

Does what I’m doing make sense to any of you? I could be wrong.
Feel free to give feedback.
Much obliged.

BTW, I’m working without a graphical environment, I didn’t install any. I’m going to do everything via terminal via ssh.

Jorge