Installing GNOME D.E. on Xubuntu/ Thread started on it'sfoss.com

James Read

11 hours ago

This tutorial made me feel better about purchasing a XPS 13 with Ubuntu preinstalled on it. Once I got it in the mail I added Xubuntu DE as option via “sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop”. I’m a big fan of Xfce and have yet to fall in love with Gnome. I really love having the 2 options as I feel I need to be versed in all. Here’s my question: I have an Inspirion that I totally removed windows and installed Xubuntu on. I’d love to have the Gnome option on start up and have tried “sudo apt install gnome-desktop, sudo apt install GNOME-desktop, and sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop.” Is it possible to install the Gnome DE on Xubuntu? Nothing has worked for me so far. Thanks in advance.

Abhishek Prakash
3 hours ago
“have tried “sudo apt install gnome-desktop, sudo apt install GNOME-desktop, and sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop.” Is it possible to install the Gnome DE on Xubuntu? Nothing has worked for me so far.”

In theory, installing those packages should install GNOME on your system, James. Do you see some error?

James Read

1 hour ago

This comment is awaiting moderation

xubuntu@xubuntu-Inspiron-13-7378:~$ sudo apt install gnome-desktop
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package gnome-desktop

Thanks for responding so fast. I could post this to the community if you’d like me to?

Hey James, have you tried doing sudo apt update?

1 Like

I figured out the problem: I’m an idiot! lol If you login using Gnome the gear icon that allows you to switch D.E. is at the lower right of the screen. If logging in from Xubuntu the icon to switch DE’s is on the top right. Problem solved! I kept looking for it on the lower right and wasn’t seeing it.

2 Likes

Haha, glad you solved it!

1 Like

Do you know if I could safely add a 3rd D.E.? Now I’m back to my dual booting days when I had like 13 OS’s on one PC. lmao. So, could I add Kubuntu & Mate to the list of DE options simply by “sudo apt install…”?

If you have the space left, then go ahead, what do you exactly need? Kubuntu or KDE? for kubuntu it’s kind of a long process, for kde, sudo apt install kde-desktop-environment

I guess so hmu if you get into any problems

1 Like

Always back up, before doing anything, then you will be “safe” regardless. :wink:

1 Like

Earlier this week I “sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop” and it worked great. Now I have 3 D.E.s I can choose from upon login. Couldn’t be happier. Using Plasma as I write this!