Installing programs on one user only

Hi guys, I’m running Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop and have 2 users. One for me and the other for the wife. Is there any way of being able to download and install a program on one user only? Or will all applications always be shared between users? Hope you can help! Cheers!

Hi,

Is there a specific reason why you don’t want an application to be not visible by another user?

By design, if you use apt,deb or snap, it will be available for all users.

You may use AppImage or download the software with ex files (Popcorn Time is an example) and keep it under your home directory.

But this is subjected to whether an application is available in these formats or not.

Thanks! I will give that a try. To be honest, there isn’t any specific reason to needing it. Its just that we use the laptop for very different things and I’m trying to convince her that linux is the way forward and she doesn’t need windows! So i thought it might help to unclutter her programs list! Thanks again!

That said, the programs are more or less “invisible” to the user, until they are actually searched for.

If using a GUI for an app overview, you can just delete the entries in the app overview, without deleting the apps themselves.

1 Like