Interesting Discussion about OpenZFS vs. ZFS

There have been a lot of discussions and opinions on this topic. Most of the time I heard that the original ZFS is much better. However, that opinion is not so much defended in this new discussion, seen in the link above.

1 Like

I saw on news this week the two projects are merging - i.e. BSD will carry on forward with OpenZFS… so Linux users of ZFS will be able to do stuff like zfs send to other platforms… not sure what that means for me - given my main ZFS usage is still BSD’s version of ZFS on FreeNAS, and whether or not I can migrate to OpenZFS or not…

1 Like

Just guessing here: there probably will be some major huge update that will allow you to get this new ZFS, as an update to your current one. That’s how stuff like that is usually handled.

1 Like

I’d be using ZFS more widely if the stuff I use (and need) would install on a fresh virgin vanilla Ubuntu 20.04 (mainly Checkpoint SSL VPN client and Citrix ICA receiver)… because 20.04 can do ZFS “out of the box”, but 18.04 requires jumping through a few hoops (really couldn’t be arsed doing a 18.04 server install on ZFS, then installing a desktop).

Been using ZFS on and off over the last 10+ years or more (mostly on Solaris)… it’s fantastic, but also perplexing and bewildering, and unforgiving to the unwary… I still remember a time when OpenSolaris derivative IllumOS couldn’t “zfs receive” zfs sends from FreeBSD…

And much as I hate Oracle, the ZFS NAS Filers I used to manage for a former employer were bulletproof, and gave better bang for buck performance than similar more expensive solutions from NetApp (and NetApp are a consumer of FreeBSD, but I don’t think they ever give back, just like Apple - I think NetApp even today, still have UFS at the back end - that’s SO 1990!) - except for maybe iSCSI (it was shit on Oracle ZFS Filers).

1 Like