Interesting question with interesting answers on Quora

I thought I might share this interesting piece:
https://qr.ae/pNFfm3

Maybe one of you could also post an answer to that question? :wink:

1 Like

They’re wrong, but I don’t really care… I’d be happy for Linux desktop marketshare to equal OS X market penetration, but I’d NEVER want it to be as popular as Windows (we’d also have a huge increase in viruses and trojans as more script kiddies target Linux desktop increasing market share)…

I don’t care about their sooky-la-la about having to use the terminal… I don’t really give a rat’s arse about anyone who doesn’t want to use the CLI or a terminal Window… if you don’t like the terminal or CLI or bash - by all means F–K OFF back to Microsoft :smiley: and CMD and PowerShell…

And that comment about the registry? What a joke… if you foobar some config file in Linux or UNIX - it’s gonna be like 10,000x easier to fix than if you HOSED your registry in Windows… what a diabolical thing that registry is too… I detest it… (having said that - the stuff that dconf-editor reads in for configuring gnome smacks of being a “registry” by another name)…

3 Likes

An ignorant question with ignorant answers? Is it? :upside_down_face:

Let’s not get angry with those guys… After all, everyone deserves to have an opinion ('though some should keep them for themselves).

Now, there was something said that I agree: “However uses Linux both love it and hate it!”
Why are some distributors forcing us to use SNAP or others like it? Weren’t repositories enough and safe?

1 Like

This reminds me of the reactions I sometimes get when teaching English. “My language doesn’t do this! My language is better!”
Or Henry Higgins, Why can’t a woman be more like a man?

3 Likes

Actually, the question annoyed me a bit. Many popular distributions are now as user friendly as the mainstream OS Windows10 and MacOS. People tend to confuse “easy” with “what I know”.
The person who asked the question has probably spent years working on Windows and then tried out Linux without a friendly person by his side.

If you think about it: How much time does it take to set up a running Windows system, with all the necessary apps and security in place and how much to do the same with a popular distribution? Linux is done in only a small fraction of the time.

An average user who wants to surf the web, chat with friends, do some word processing and edit some photos or videos can use Linux without even touching the terminal. However, if you are a professional user of Windows, the first thing you do, is to install the power shell so that you don’t have to dive through endless menus in order to get something done.

2 Likes

100% - one of the things that drives me insane, on the odd occasion I’ve installed Windows XP / 7 / 8 / 10 from scratch (I’ve never installed Vista, only formatted over it with Linux :smiley: ) - is the hours spent downloading and installing drivers >:-( - couple years back I got a Surface Pro 3 cheap for my daughter - but it had a bunch of corporate SOE/MOE stuff on it - so I formatted it and installed a fresh Windows 10 on there - this is Microsoft Software onto Microsoft Hardware - do you think it was easy? No it took me literally 8 hours to get that thing productive, and even then device manager showed unrecognised devices!

I guess if I was some kinda platinum tech partner or something - there may have been some “image” I could download of Win10 pre-built for Surface Pro 3 - but I think the manufacturer image for these was Win 8 or 8.1…

A Linux install? In the last 5 years or so - I’ve NEVER had to go hunting for drivers like this for basic things like wifi adaptors, ethernet adaptors or GPU (admittedly it wasn’t till about Ubuntu 18.04 that installing NVidia drivers became almost a “no-brainer”)… I can go from new install, to productivity in about 2 hours with Linux (and that’s getting all my accounts sync’d and my Resilio Sync folders up to date).

Recently swapped in a GTX650Ti for some GT400 series GPU in my daughter’s Win8.1 desktop system - it already had NVidia drivers for the lofi GT series - do you think it recognised the GTX650? No! Had to uninstall NVidia drivers, and install fresh ones - there’s two hours gone…

The GTX650 came out of my AMD desktop system running 20.04 - which I upgraded to a GTX1650 - did that work out of the box with the 440 series drivers in Ubuntu? Yes!

Note : my house is nearly Windows “free” now… My eldest daughter recently replaced her AMD Win 8.1 (with the GTX650 above) desktop system with a Mac Mini… My other, youngest, daughter sold that Surface Pro 3 to get money for an iPad Pro - and she’s the only person in the house with Windows (8.1 on an Intel desktop) - but she barely uses it - as she has a recent MacBook Air - and she’s planning on ditching the windows PC… I think she only uses it for Steam PC games (I use Steam - but - only on Linux). My wife spends most of her time on her iPad, but occasionally uses an ancient MacBook Air (circa 2012/2013)…

I don’t “hate” Microsoft, and I acknowledge their job is 10,000x more difficult than Apple’s - and - I quite admire Bill Gates - and - I used Windows NT 3.51, 4.0 and 2000 in preference to the hobbled-together hybrid MS-DOS 8 bit / 16 bit / quasi-32 bit system that was Windows 3.x, 95, 98 and ME…

I even used to support Windows NT 4.0 server running on DEC Alpha RISC systems - which wiped the floor with Intel in nearly every department…

1 Like

Everything is relative. You succeeded in installing a not supported version of Windows on pretty restricted hardware.

There was a big software update for Mac devices, which broke the device into an unusable state (not sure if there was really a way to fix it). This update was intended for exactly these devices that got the update and yet, the result is much worse than what you experienced. So, compared to Mac, Windows did still a better job at this compatability thing regarding your situation, than Apple.

Some of the famous issues are pointed out in this video (mostly hardware, due to obvious reasons):

Plus, Apple devices are far less price efficient, than Windows products.

Therefore, everything is relative and what you experienced with that Windows device is relatively fine compared to what may have happened to a Mac user.