Is an upgrade to mint 19.1 from linux mint 18.3 ASUS x555y laptop) my best option?

You will need the Web I think.
If your LM21 flash drive is a full install iso, you might get it to install without the web. If it is a minimal instsll iso, you will definitely need the web.
It is easier , for installs, if you can link with an ethernet cable, but you can do it with WiFi
After the install is finished, it does not matter , you can use either ethernet or WiFi. You just configure what you want.

dear @Col_Panek and @nevj :
i so appreciate all your help this past summer!
my ducks and/or sheep seemed all in a row, finally, and i was figuring out the ventoy/iso file install to flash drive, when i got into trouble in my linux terminal:

and what i need assistance with is below: (but, know that i have an email in to the Ventoy administrator - i was trying to sign up for a subscription (& its benefits of help!) but they only take PayPal, BitCoin, or Liberapay - none of which i can do - or would even try. i emailed and offered to send a check or use a Visa card, so we’ll see.) in the meantime, if you have any advice, i am all eyes! 1k thank you’s for listening! from sarah_j

i am held up here - ventoy - to get ready to install it to flash drive from my downloads dir on linux mint 18.3 pc … at the terminal and in my downloads dir, i got to the point where i used:

./VentoyGUI.x86_64 and got:

(process:1535): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion ‘g_utf8_validate (string, -1, NULL)’ failed

(Ventoy2Disk.gtk3:1535): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_grab_default: assertion ‘gtk_widget_get_can_default (widg
et)’ failed

(Ventoy2Disk.gtk3:1535): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_grab_default: assertion ‘gtk_widget_get_can_default (widg
et)’ failed
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

(i do not understand the messages.)

i got the ‘ventoy2disk’ dialog box, but the 2nd box (after the first box titled ‘ventoy in package’) - titled ‘ventoy in device’ is blank. i am trying to install Linux Mint 21 (vanessa) using :

ventoy-1.0.80-linux.tar.gz

on my 64 bit pc
(not bad for a day’s work, eh?!

p.s. i had done a cd to the ventoy-1.0.80 dir under ‘documents’
sarah_j

Sarah_j, not sure you understand what Ventoy does. Go back to Col Panek’s instructions and start again.

You should be copying the new Mint iso to the USB created by Ventoy2Disk. Extract the tar and read the README . There you will find the instruction:

sudo sh Ventoy2Disk.sh { -i | -I | -u } /dev/sdX sdX is the USB device, for example /dev/sdb.

That creates the Ventoy USB. Copy the Mint iso to it, boot your machine from the USB, and you should be home free. Do not use the USB you used to back up your data!

1 Like

thank you @berninghausen ! this is helpful,
yet i am now stuck at verifying the mint iso file.
i have tried >8 times,
4 at the same usa mirror, then more at other mirrors.
the check sums are never the same - one will start with an ‘e’ the other with an ‘f’…
do you have any thoughts on this? sarah _j

Sarah, the other inmates will likely gasp and clutch their pearls, but I never verify an iso downloaded from a reliable source. If you got the file from Mint or one of its mirrors, I’d trust it. Haven’t had an issue with this in 20 plus years, and I’ve installed hundreds of distros. The worst thing that can happen, I think, is that your install may fail. As long as any data you value is safely backed up on a USB or in the cloud, go for it.

4 Likes

Agreed. @Sarah_J you are making your life way more complicated then needs to be.

2 Likes

For nevj, col_panek, whomever may be able to advise: I am stuck - cannot get to any website on any browser. At first it cleared by clearing cache, cookies ; then a command re Dnsmasq at the terminal…also maybe rebooting PC, modem…no longer - I can’t think of anything else…I never got beyond the checksum step w Ventoy… And this tablet isn’t the greatest for investigating. I welcome any ideas…maybe even taking a plane somewhere? Many thx in all cases from sarah

I don’t think it would do you any good…
Do you you have Mint finally running? How about reinstalling a browser (Firefox maybe?) from Synaptic? Do you have internet connections?

Hi @Sarah_J ,

I am guessing. Are you still running mint 18.3 on your laptop?
From what you say it seems your attempt to install mint19.1 was not successful because you could not understand Ventoy?

Neville

1 Like

If someone want Mint for sure, what the hell is Ventoy for???

1 Like

@Sarah_J was advised to use Ventoy to make a bootable usb flash disk for installing Mint19. (see earlier reply).
Ventoy is too complicated for her.
Can you come up with the easiest way to download Mint19 and make a bootable USB drive, so that she can install Mint19?
Her previous install was done with a purchased USB drive. That is no longer an option. She needs to learn how to put an iso download onto a usb drive . My feeling is dd is too dangerous for Sarah. Can we find her a simple foolproof method?

Well, the easiest would be to find a friend who runs Windows. Unfortunately, it shouldn’t be hard to find someone… :crying_cat_face:
Then friend could download Mint iso, and using Rufus, put it on a USB, and mail it to Sarah. And then if she knows how to boot it up to live, install it, by wiping her disk clean. I mean CLEAN. And why Mint 19? It should be 21.

Rufus is good. Balena Etcher is also good. Download the newest Mint, make a bootable USB, install it on a clean hdd. It can’t get much simpler than that. Keep It Simple, Sarah.

1 Like

KISS, a new version of it!

Thanks Bill,
That is probably the best we can do, short of someone making a usb drive with latest Mint and mailing it to Sarah.
Rufus requires Windows. Not sure about Balena Etcher?
Regards
Neville

Yes should be latest.
Lets see how Sarah responds.

Agree.
As long as there is a internet connection, a bootable USB can be may directly from Mint 18.3.
At least that what I recall about Mint. After the ISO is downloaded, right click on the ISO.
One of the options is “Make bootable USB stick”. It is one of the nice things about Mint Cinnamon.
I don’t know, but maybe the option is also in Mint Mate and Xfce.

1 Like

Balena Etcher works easily in every Linux distro I’ve tried it in. I think it’s an appimage–just right click on the downloaded file and run it. One might have to adjust the permissions to allow it to execute (also on the right click menu); each distro seems to handle it a bit differently.

Etcher takes over the USB target, so the stick you plug in will be a dedicated live distro file. Etcher will happily overwrite that stick with the next distro you try.

I suggested Etcher in case Sarah doesn’t have a Windows friend available.

3 Likes

Linux Lite comes with it installed.

It also works in Windows.