Is an upgrade to mint 19.1 from linux mint 18.3 ASUS x555y laptop) my best option?

Never heard of this. I run Xfce. It would make Mint even better.

hi. i hope this gets to all respondents! (how would i know?)
thank you ALL. i have spent time o my tiny tablet researching, then tues. got back my ability to run Brave, Firefox. i am downloading the iso torrent file for LM 21 now… learned a bit re rufus & balena yesterday… still looking at ventoy…i got to thinking that maybe my Mint 18.3 does not have the needed terminal commands? the suggested one was not liked, wouldn’t execute ./VentoyGUI.x86_64… yes, of course i am the fool for trying to do this - some of it is beyond me. think of a $# re how much to charge to create me a disk! now i have more to look into and appreciate it much. sarah_j

1 Like

We’re all observing, cheering for you all over the world. We just want you to download Mint 21, make a boot USB on somebody’s computer (Balena or Rufus is easiest) and install it on a fresh, clean HDD. Then pull in your backed-up files, straighten your crown, and steam ahead. Please stop trying to do anything until you have a fresh installation to work with. Then you can experiment with Ventoy–Mint has all the terminal commands you need, but the ./VentoyGUI.x86_64 you mention isn’t the right one.

You want Ventoy2Disk, as described in Get start . Ventoy. But ignore that for now.

Back up your data, flush your disk, use another machine to make a boot USB, and install fresh. OK?

2 Likes

hello all who have kindly helped me. i have 2 questions as i prepare to go a-petsitting at the end of the month - where i hope to finally DO this install… (i think the dog may help me…)

1. does the flash drive have to be empty of all but the iso/etcher stuff - or can i have other files tucked away in a directory on the flash drive?
  2. do i install LM21 or LM21.1?

many many thanks for your suppport! sarah

Here comes the dog…

1. Your USB will be wiped clean by the program before starting the process, so move what ever you need.
  2. The difference is not a lot, but it’s advised to go with the latest edition, so go with 21.1 Vera.
1 Like

Hi @Sarah_J,

remove earlier post

I believe the best option would to copy any files you want to carry over onto a separate USB or HDD.

Agreed, mostly a waste of time.

hello, @nevj @Col_Panek @shamu @berninghausen
and you all have my deepest gratitude - thanks so very much for helping me through this install!
i completed it yesterday - after researching partitioning, BIOS and how to boot up BIOS screen. and Balena Etcher did the trick… nothing was easy - it’s maybe my literal-ness or my having been a mathematician that gets me goofed up on ‘‘logic’’ - dunno.
but, LM21.1 is in/on my PC - hooray! i think i would have given up had i not had you all to connect with…so it was good having my eee pc up and running in case i needed to connect during the install. and even though, say for BIOS, what i read was not what actually appeared on screen - even the ASUS hardware info seemed out-of-date, but i muddled through. i am sending you all my grateful vibes for a healthy safe and happy 2023. from sarah

All right!!! It took you only 5 month!! :rofl:

Yes, it was. You just don’t know it yet!

Never give up! That’s the way to learn.
Happy New Year to you too, enjoy your wonderful Mint!
Next time you will get it done in two months! :crazy_face:

Reminds me of a joke.

They found the programmer dead in his shower.
He had a bottle of shampoo in his hand.
With the instructions, “Apply, rinse, repeat.”

1 Like

He probably worked for Windows…

Thank you Sarah, and congratulations. Enjoy your Linux Mint.
Oh, and guess what… I am a mathematician too… actually a statistician. We do tend to over-investigate things sometimes. Must be in the family.

Regards
Neville

thanks to ALL of you! love the humor too.
i think i just found a way to do my old (2011) eeePC upgrade to LMDE 5 Elsie - as per linuxmint.com’s installation instructions! i will try next week. (out pet sitting now with my ASUS X555Y which now has LM21.1, thankfully)

i appreciate your understanding/compassion @NevJ! actually, i was Sr. statistical programmer at G.D. Searle, and taught statistics at College of Marin…think it may have been good to get a PhD in it, and then do applied research…oh well…it is good to be retired!