Is safe do an upgrade of RAM but without parity equality?

Hello Friends

I have an ASUS UX501VW-DS71T, currently with 16GB of RAM.

According with the official documentation at ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW about the RAM is indicated the following:

Memory
DDR4 2133 MHz SDRAM, up to 16 GB, OnBoard Memory 8 GB , 1x DIMM socket

Therefore is not possible do an upgrade to 2 x 16 = 32GB. But would be possible do either 8 + 16 = 24GB or 8 + 32 = 40GB. Note: Lets assume is possible do an upgrade until 40 GB

Now, to be honest, since years ago I always have read and listened that is very important have a parity of RAM, I mean: 2 x R such as 2 x 8, 2 x 16, 2 x 32, etc. It for performance reasons and if my memory does not fail me to avoid the OS crash or hang (it mostly for Windows - not sure if Linux can be affected here too)

So far or in this point of time perhaps this situation was fixed due the current improvement of both hardware and software throughout these years.

Question

• Is safe do an upgrade of RAM but without parity equality?

Currently this laptop uses in peace Windows 10 Home, but in the future is considered to moved to Linux when Windows 10 passes to EOF. And well is used VirtualBox to use Linux as Guest

Of course, the goal is do an upgrade of RAM as maximum possible and have the OS and apps running in peace

First off 16gb memory for most things in Linux is enough even running gimp plus several other applications. I run with 8 no difficulty.

Linux is not like windows for memory usage.

Yes you should still put balanced memory of the same spec that does not change no matter what system

As the manufacturer spec shows maximum of 16 then this suggests the mother board is not capable of passing this limit and if you try it will either not work or only use the 16 nothing more

Save your money and stick with what you have now

4 Likes

Hello Paul

Thanks for the reply

First off 16gb memory for most things in Linux is enough even running gimp plus several other applications. I run with 8 no difficulty.

Agree, but if is possible do an upgrade I want take the opportunity. Why? In the future hardware requirements can be increased for the OS itself, so the current sticks are going to be expensive because they are not manufactured anymore.

Linux is not like windows for memory usage.

Agree, but I use IDE, Java, Gradle, Jenkins, and them consumes a good amount of RAM. So the impact is obvious.

Yes you should still put balanced memory of the same spec that does not change no matter what system

Can you expand the idea? I don’t understand your idea.

• Do you mean keep the parity? 2 x N?
  • Or keep just the Speed (MHz) without matter if is applied 8 + N?

As the manufacturer spec shows maximum of 16 then this suggests the mother board is not capable of passing this limit and if you try it will either not work or only use the 16 nothing more

When was released such laptop, in that point of time the max capacity was 16GB. Now consider that “perhaps” in that point of time did not exist a RAM stick of 16GB, so only 8GB: therefore only was possible to do either “2 x 8 or 8 + 8”. Later when was available sticks of 16GB is possible do either 2 x 16 or 8 +16. Now the case could be that Asus did not updated its own documentation. It happens for other MacBook Pro too, for 2011 and 2012 were in their officials specs indicated the max capacity of RAM is 8, but really is 16GB

Even more see the following links:

Save your money and stick with what you have now

Thanks for the suggestion. But when I upgraded some laptops it helps to avoid in some way buy new laptops.

Best to all!

I think of the dual-channel setup, which you will loose, if your memory layout is not symmetric. Thus, you will cut down memory bandwidth to a half.

3 Likes

I don’t know the site you looked at for memory upgrades but the follow up does say perhaps it may not work.
Although I agree that web sites are not always updated as the specs change during manufacture or the BIOS is upgraded. But normally the computer makers bring out a new model to reflect the updated spec. Yes it’s possible to upgrade the bios on some computers if supplied by fabrication or if it’s a standard mother board.
Personal experience says going above the limit suggested does not work either on speed or size.

Before you buy memory have a look at

You are not forced to buy from either but if they say no then take that as a guide as it’s very rare they get it wrong. I don’t work for either just a customer for over 30 years so happy with service and info

To reply to your apple comment, updating the bios is almost impossible to find or do and apple are very limiting on memory upgrades if it says on the box 8 then 8 is the maximum no matter what. Most early macs were shipped with 4 but you could upgrade to 8 or 16 and in some cases 32 but the bios was set ready for it. Also on some macs you could get away with imbalanced memory it just took the speed of the slowest (former Mac technical engineer) new macs you buy with memory soldered onto motherboard so upgrade is not for fainthearted … Been there and tried.
Stick with the 16

2 Likes

Thanks for the valuable and polite feedback

About Asus. It seems I am going to keep the 16GB of RAM in peace. It mostly to keep the “dual channel” feature in peace and taking the consideration about the soldered 8GB … It is my first experience with this situation in a laptop. Not sure how common is this in other manufactures. I am assuming the reason to take this approach is speed.

About Apple. I am agree with you about the BIOS situation. I’ve read that constraint in other network. But read these links for your consideration (no bios upgrade mentioned)

The upgrade is possible from 8 to 16.

Anyway, Of course, I am going to test the MacBook Pro from 8 to 16 GB, if passes the sticks are going to be acquired. But that is other history.