Is this safe? UEFI Secure Boot Configuration

Hello
I am RoboTech

I wanted to install flatpack but it tells somethin to set / configure secureboot here as it is enable and I cannot disable because my father has restricted me to do so

I went to the internet on UBUNTU’s official wiki
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot/DKMS
See this

Please tell me that is this doing safe?
And also if I do it,
Will it be needed for me to enter that password after each boot?

Thank you in advance

Hard to deal with unknown or slab-dash described errors.
Say for example, open the terminal, and enter
sudo apt install flatpack

The response is:
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package flatpack

What could be the problem?
We could say, “there’s no such package ‘flatpack’, where did you read about it”
or we could say “you probabyl mistyped the package name, chances are you meant ‘flatpak’ not ‘flatpack’”
etc. etc. etc.
So please, tell the command you entered, maybe what did you expect from it, but what error message/report did you get instead of the expected result.
As a last resort, you may ask your father too, may be he can help as well.

3 Likes

Yes
i tried to install flatpak
then it i guess downloaded som things and then showed that Secure boot is enables
pls configurre it for installing 3rd party drivers and aps

Try this in a terminal:
flatpak --version

Do you get a positive answer, like

root@Z51-70:/home/laco# flatpak --version
Flatpak 1.2.5

Or just an error:
flatpak: command not found

Error
When I do sudo apt install flatpak
Its shows this:

after that this:

So is doing this safe?
The link I shared on the main post was of offcial ubuntu saying to configure this.
Is this afe?

1 Like

The message says it all. Either turn off Secure Boot or you need to provide a custom configuration, as described in the message you are seeing.

2 Likes

Is this a new system or upgrade?? Whether or not you have Secure Boot on or not, Ubuntu will make a Machine Owner Key.

Here is the Wiki I got it from UEFI/SecureBoot - Ubuntu Wiki

2 Likes

Perhaps this means, that the user just needs to provide the password for the configuration, as described in the MOK generation and signing process, and the rest would be taken care of by the OS.

2 Likes

Put the password in that they login with.

1 Like

Yes it is safe. When you get to that box where it says Configuring Secure Boot, push your right or left arrow key to highlight OK push enter key always it catches me out, whenever one of these boxes like in ubuntu-restricted-extras for instance, installing the Microsoft Fonts a box always comes up and I get annoyed as forget to push my arrow key. Must be an age thing or something? Once you’ve hit enter on the OK it will ask for your password, enter your password that you login with. Ubuntu will take care of the rest.

2 Likes

I bet this is because upgrading a DKMS module, namely v4l2loopback in this case.

1 Like

so
It is safe
last qs
will it be needed to enter the pass everytime?
and its a new system
installed 2days ago
Ubuntu 20.4 lts

Thanks for the detalied description!
I think you will get the same dialog upon installing a new kernel, removing or installing additional DKMS modules.
I think doing this is safe.

1 Like

Thank you very much
U help me a lot :pray: :pray: :pray:

btw sorry to disturb that when i enter the pass in terminal
do i have to enter that pass after each boot or only for this time?
because this pc has windows 10 pro with all my dad’s imp files of office.

thank you

sry i am disturbing u a lot
I am a new type of user
i love linux
but as new
face problems

Well, I don’t have Windows (except some on VM’s) and I don’t really care for secure boot.
I use Debian exlusivley.
I also dislike snaps and flatpaks a lot, and I dig up the net for real .deb packages, or cook them myself from source, or ripped binaries.
So this stuff is really new to me as well.
As I read, because of secure boot you need to sign DKMS modules. As part of the signing process you need to provide a password, which is then used for signing upon first reboot.
If I understand correctly, this is a one-time process, once the module got signed, you don’t need that password anymore.
If I understand correctly, if you mess up something really badly, you won’t be able to boot Ubuntu.
This seems to be the worst scenario in this case, however all other OS remains bootable, including Windows.

If you want to avoid being slapped for absolutely sure, do backup!
Backup!

As always, if you have a backup, the worst thing can happen then you will need to reinstall, and restore.

thnx
can i pls wait till @clatterfordslim answers bc he seems to know abt this thing
pls @kovacslt ?

Hello I’m back. I see no reason at all to not go ahead as I dual boot Linux Mint with Windows 10 and have had no problems. Remember Linux is totally different to Windows and it being in different user space to your Windows install, so it will not muck anything up on your Windows side. All that Ubuntu is asking to do is redo your Secure Boot, it needs to install firmware, which will not touch or muck up anything on your Windows side, because it’s installing it on Linux not Windows.

So the only time afterwards you would have to enter your password, if you have it setup is when you log back in after switching it on, rebooting or want to install something in the Terminal, installing a Flatpak app, a Snaps app, Deb file app. When updating your system to say the latest kernel. Lots of people do get fed up with having to put their password in, but here in Linux, it is a great security thing. Say if you had a few friends round and you needed to pop out for a while, your friends start tinkering around on your system, trying to install stuff they won’t be able to, because hopefully you have not told anyone your password?

This is where Windows and Linux differ, Windows just asks do you trust where you’re getting this app from and you click yes. Linux asks for your permission, as you are the owner of the OS. Plus the fact you’re getting the app specifically written for Linux, whether it be a Flatpak, Snaps, Deb file. I hope this helps? :smiley:

1 Like

I am absolutely convinced, that it’d benefit everyone, if you could word your expressions in an understandable, universally acceptable way.

2 Likes