Issues installing Desktops in Fedora 39

Yes.
Live distros sometimes have different drivers to installs, but that is not your problem

1 Like

I know that drivers are not my issue. I was more or less referring to if I can ssh with X forwarding from a live session to Debian server, then that means that distro will work for me.

In live session for MX ahs, no external monitor can be used and no installing it while in live session (and this laptop screen is tiny).

Apparently there is a known issue with newer nvidia cards. Most live sessions have the drivers to use external monitor during session.

Did not care for Endeavor. Li8ked Fedora KDE, which i could install over Pop, but I really liked MX.

I am going to make a final image in CZ and I already have several timeshift snapshots, including one I made last weekend, so I will include one more of that as well.

Then I am going to attempt to install MX and hope I can use my monitor as these old eyes cannot read such tiny text.

Now as for lag, no lag whatsoever in Debian. Not in terminal, not in opening apps, etc. So I am pretty sure my Fedora got borked, somehow. But since I do not want to deal with Wayland, and have gotten Debian into Cinnamon desktop, I would like to proceed with RE-setting up everything for ssh, nfs, etc.

I will be monitoring one additional thing, however. After installing Debian, I had to leave the house for a couple of hours and when I returned, the entire server was shut down. Hmm, okay. Restarted and hooked up a monitor and everything looked okay. Spent several hours downstairs working and came back to find the server, once again, powered off.

Thanks,
Sheila

OK. You solved the big issue. It is Fedora in the serverā€¦ so either reinstall or try something else.

I use it as my main stable distro.
Shifted from Debian when I had issues with
a new video card.
You dont need to worry now, the problem
is not the Cockpit <--> Ubuntu issue so LM is fine.

1 Like

Is that a power setting that has it shut itself down or suspend after some length of time?

2 Likes

@pdecker well duh :crazy_face:. I had just searched the issue and it is "sleep after 5 min."Maybe I just donā€™t remember setting Fedora that way, but it never shut down the computer. But Debian did.

I will deal with it tomorrow. That will be easy-peasy compared to redoing all this stuff I got help with on this forum in getting the dern server setup to begin with.

Thanks,
Sheila

2 Likes

I am having a heck of time getting my admin user into the sudoers. Apparently in Debian install, when asked about root password, I could have skipped it. But since I had never been asked about it in other Linux installs, I created one.

I have tried following instructions, but continue to get:
ā€œ/etc/sudoers: 50:21: expected a fully-qualified path nameā€

And I have no idea ā€œwhat pathā€ would cover everything.

Is it possible to just remove the root password now? I have so much to do in CLI and cannot seem to get anywhere.

Thanks,
Sheila

UPDATE: I finally found some instructions for adding sudoer via command line as root. Every other one only used visudo and were not very exact on how it should be edited. So fait accompli!

1 Like

What we typically do is to add a file in the /etc/sudoers.d folder like /etc/sudoers.d/full_access_users. Maybe it is asking for the full path to a file in that folder rather than editing /etc/sudoers.

1 Like