Hi , I joined It’s Foss community because I like to read the information from It’s Foss on Linux/Ubuntu issues and the clear way of explaining actions to be taken.
Now, before I surrender to the investigations of NSA, CIA and FBI , I was curious to know where the servers of It’s Foss are located, which laws are applicable and what policy IT’s Foss has on allowing these agencies to view, copy the communities’ members content.
So I decided to have a view at the Terms of Service (ToS).
After some line’s I was surprised, disappointed and started to worry on this. The ToS does look, like a copy/paste of (another?) an ISP cy. With in dozens of places the term “company_short_name”. So this could be filled in later with any companies names and basically means we are “signing a blanco cheque” ?
Before, I want to involve myself in contributing to this It’s Foss community, I have to wait till the ToS properly has filled the empty spots and it becomes clear who is controlling it.
I have following open questions that are not clear
- will It’s Foss be the name of the company that will govern the ToS?
- in your ToS you write that the Law of California is applicable, so I assume this is the state Law and not the States Federal Laws?
- where are the servers of It’s Foss located and do they fall under the USA jurisdiction? ; as this will allow NSA etc to view and copy all and everything we contribute in the community
- will It’s Foss have thorough encryption on the contents on their servers? Under your privacy tab , you explain to protect our information but you do not specify whether it is encrypted and who has the keys? Under privacy you state that according the Law our information will be made available , when requested. A 3rd Party can have our information, to assist you,but they can not forward the info; so no Cambridge analytica possible.
- will It’s Foss establish the “Canary” option, like other web-critical organizations have, [ show the Canary as long the USA does not subpoena It’s Foss and remove the Canary when it does , as a warning]
- Will I have the option to remove my content from the It’s Foss servers, when I want it? This should not only be the removing of content from the visible part of It’s Foss servers but a thorough complete removal of my contributions?
- HTTPS or not? My connection to your It’s Foss community shows https in the url, however in your ToS art. 5 2nd alinea, you write the HTTPS will only be available as add-on on a paid service?
- Under art 5 Payments, I expected to find an article that It’s Foss is offering a free service of its community forum with basic forum features. However nothing is mentioned. I can understand that not the basic but only advance additional features could be used for bringing money to you.
Please highlight some of my worries, questions for me , and maybe other interested users.