JavaScript errors

Can anyone explain JavaScript error messages?

When I run Waterfox I get messages like

nevj@mary:~/waterfox$ waterfox
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.jsm, line 66: Error: Can't find profile directory.
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.jsm, line 66: Error: Can't find profile directory.
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/PartitioningExceptionListService.jsm, line 69: NS_ERROR_MALFORMED_URI: Component returned failure code: 0x804b000a (NS_ERROR_MALFORMED_URI) [nsIPartitioningExceptionListObserver.onExceptionListUpdate]
console.error: PushService: 
  clearOriginData: Error clearing origin data:
  TypeError
JavaScript error: resource:///modules/Interactions.jsm, line 209: NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIUserIdleService.removeIdleObserver]

I dont know how JavaScript provides these .jsm modules.
If I search the package system with apt-file I do not find any package that contains them
Depending on which environment I run Waterfox in, I get varying combinations of these errors … so what is installed affects how many messages I get.
They do not seem to stop Waterfox functioning, except that its Welcome page on first use is blank.

I have the following javascript related packages installed

nevj@mary:~/waterfox$ dpkg -l | grep javascript
ii  gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0:amd64    2.36.7-1~deb11u1                       amd64        JavaScript engine library from WebKitGTK - GObject introspection data
ii  javascript-common                     11+nmu1                                all          Base support for JavaScript library packages
ii  libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18:amd64     2.36.7-1~deb11u1                       amd64        JavaScript engine library from WebKitGTK
ii  libnode72:amd64                       12.22.12~dfsg-1~deb11u1                amd64        evented I/O for V8 javascript - runtime library
ii  nodejs                                12.22.12~dfsg-1~deb11u1                amd64        evented I/O for V8 javascript - runtime executable
ii  nodejs-doc                            12.22.12~dfsg-1~deb11u1                all          API documentation for Node.js, the javascript platform

and I have Java installed… there are heaps of Java packages.

Is there anything else that I should install?
or
Should I ignore these messages?
and
Would I be correct in assuming that JavaScript is finding all these
'resource://gre/modules/XULStore.jsm` modules, but they are just not functioning in an error free manner?
and if so
Is there anything I can do to reduce these errors?

Sorry for all the questions, but I do not know anything about Java or Javascript so it is nearly impossible to work out what tp do.

Without diving into it too deeply, I suspect Waterfox itself is the culprit. It’s implementation is not complete.

Java and Javascript are 2 completely different things.

Thanks, at least I have that sorted. Its getting out of my area.

I suspect Waterfox itself is the culprit. 

That is exactly what I needed to know.
It means I am probably wasting my time looking for solutiuons by adding packages.

Thank You
Neville

PS
I just tried running firefox from the command line
It has some errors too

[nevj@trinity Waterfox.docker]$ firefox
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/PartitioningExceptionListService.jsm, line 69: NS_ERROR_MALFORMED_URI: Component returned failure code: 0x804b000a (NS_ERROR_MALFORMED_URI) [nsIPartitioningExceptionListObserver.onExceptionListUpdate]

not as many though.

So that supports what @kovacslt said. There is nothing missing, it is the application not usiing JavaScript properly.

PPS
I did the above PS not quite right. I ran Firefox in Void.
When I run firefox in the exact same Debian environment as Waterfox ( ie in the container) Firefox runs with no Javascript errors at all.
The difference between the Debian and Void environments must be a matter of versions of packages

Did you ask around in the Waterfox community?

Most of the time, such “errors” appear, when the developers are lazy and just log every single tiny mistake as an “error” instead of putting it on the debug or at least warning level.

1 Like

That makes sense. Waterfox works fine , they should be warnings.

I dont even know if a Waterfox community exists. There is nothing on JavaScript here

I think we just ignore them

Since it’s essentially a fork, they made only a relatively small amount of contributions to the source code as a whole.

It’s entirely possible, they never touched any JavaScript to begin with.

Yes, … see the PPS added to post no 3.
It would be a fork of an older firefox

It might be the same issues, as with Linux derivatives. You use a popular base distribution, make small changes and then advertise it as just as stable as the original, which often is not true. With such huge projects, it’s just natural that even tiny changes may break something or at least make it work less well, compared to the original version.

For example, Waterfox probably removed tons of stuff from Firefox. So, when stuff is missing, other parts of the code might complain about it.

When I had Waterfox and Firefox both in the same container, all that removed stuff should have been there, yet waterfox still had the javascript errors, while firefox did not. ?

If it’s removed from the code, then the software won’t look for it. If it does not look for it, then it does not matter if it’s laying around right in front of it.

1 Like

Agree. If they take the calls out, it will not find things.

Waterfox is now owned by System1 … they do search engines and R software…
https://system1.com/research
I think Waterfox may have a reasonable future. It is active… versions are coming out regularly.

And I think it does not matter. There are plenty of Firefox forks out there and the original is still the best, because it is most usable. The only fork I care about is LibreWolf, because it adds that extra privacy on top.

1 Like

@Akito ,
This from the waterfox site

Waterfox does not collect telemetry about your installation - any telemetry modules are disable when the browser is built. What you do in your browser is only known by you.

Does Librewolf have more than that?

Yes.

This project is an independent fork of Firefox, with the primary goals of privacy, security and user freedom.

Source

Its primary goal is privacy and security. Since this is a priority, the project will focus much more on this aspect, while Waterfox perhaps focuses on making it less proprietary or something.

1 Like