Jumping off the Windows Ledge

I can sympathize with that.
Get a USB- ethernet dongle … assuming you have a modem to connect to.
It might get you a temporary ethernet link just to do the install

Mostly, but not always, I’ve come across USB ethernet dongles that don’t work “out of the box” with any Linux distro (never mind proprietary binary blobs Debian won’t install) - i.e. if you want to use it - grab the source code and compile it… I usually give up at that point… seems pointless to me… $15 device that doesn’t work in Linux? Chuck it in a box and find one that does work out of the box on Linux… This situation isn’t quite as bad as with WiFi, but it’s still “there”…

1 Like

Yes, been there with Wifi. Have one machine with 2 Wifi dongles, one of which works with Debian, and other works with Void.

I get along fine with Ubuntu flavors and Ubuntu-derived distros. I don’t buy hardware that doesn’t work with Ubuntu. Why buy trouble?

Arch can exist without me, since I see nothing it does that Ubuntu won’t do. Computer users have the lovely freedom of not giving a shit about the imaginary prestige that using Arch seems to confer.

1 Like

Yes, but we can feel sorry for them

1 Like

OH!!! Do not feel sorry for us Arch/Gentoo users, we just love a challenge!!!

I did not include Gentoo. It is entirely different to Arch

1 Like

Not really, Gentoo uses a lot of Arch packages, just in a different format.

Yeah, but if you want to compile, there is not much choice… Gentoo or LFS. I suppose you can compile any distro, but they are not set up for it.
Arch… there are now lots of better alternatives if you just want rolling release.

1 Like

Maybe!! I ran Arch for several years, a few years back, had to have some surgery, and by the time I got back, it was so out of date, that it had to be put down!!! Other than that it I really had no issues.

They use Arch on SystemRescueCD… there it is frozen ( no updates) and very cut down. I guess any Linux would do for that.

I just keep hearing that its updates are more unstable than other rolling release distros. Dont have any personal experience to back that up.

Eating my own words - I’m running 22.04 (22.04.1 is not here yet). Been running it for a month now… There are things I hate (mostly fairly major gnome 42 annoyances), things I like, I’ve got an AMD GPU (RX6600 XT) - and 22.04 has much more recent OSS drivers than 20.04.x does…

╭─x@titan ~  
╰─➤  stat / |grep "Birth"                                                                                                       1 ↵
 Birth: 2022-06-10 16:42:59.000000000 +0800
╭─x@titan ~  
╰─➤  lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
Release:	22.04
Codename:	jammy

I’ll probably stick with it for the time being, and keep my fingers crossed the RT (ray tracing) features of my GPU will be incorporated soonish, into the OSS driver that Canonical deploy (RT is available if I chose to bypass Canonical’s default OSS driver, and build / install from outside Canonical from the latest AMD GPU source).

Do you have to have Gnome?
22.04 with another dte might perform better

No - I’ve been there and done that…

I’ve tried most of them…

• KDE - no not for me, tried it recently, it’s better than it was ~10 years ago, but still didn’t like it…
  • XFCE - okay - but still prefer Gnome… it’s probably my 2nd choice… even so - it feels a bit clunky and almost “legacy”
  • pantheon - want to love elementary, but, it’s too locked down
  • Mate - no
  • Cinnamon - no
  • LXDE - Cripes NO! I LOATHE LXDE! - especially the Pi Foundation’s “Pixel” implementation of LXDE - it’s GHASTLY!

There are probably others I suppose, but I really can’t be arsed tinkering further…

I’m not 100% happy with Gnome 42, but, even so - it’s 1,000 x better than MacOS, and 10,000x better than MS Windows :smiley:

Why?

Qt dte’s are decidedly different
You can get used to Qt style , but it takes time.
KDE today is much better than 10 years ago… they have got rid of the excessive number of default apps . I used KDE/Void for the recent work on goldboot… but I still keep my Xfce/Void … and my Lumina/Void. Its all,about finding the way forward… same with @daniel.m.tripp … he is exploring.

I don’t have KDE installed anywhere to try and use it to try and remember why I didn’t like it - I just didn’t like it… I actually gave it a week or so on my Thinkpad, but gave up on it and went back to Gnome 41 (Fedora 35 - it’s now Gnome 42 on Fedora 36 - but - I haven’t powered it up for weeks now)…

I’m just bouncing around. Mint 20.3, but I’ll replace that with the Mint 21 beta next week. MATE 22.04 is a solid performer. And Rolling Rhino, with Budgie/XFCE/Plasma/Gnome/Gnome Classic fills out the third 500G partition. Might be I’ll check out Deepin to replace MATE after I’ve decided whether Mint 21 Beta is a keeper or not.

One’s wardrobe needs rotating regularly, wouldn’t you agree?

Yes, its a journey, not a refuge.
You need one nice stable distro, … and one to play with.

Plasma 25 has almost convinced me, but I want to see Mint 21 first…I really like several sandboxes, Neville!