Just a Thought - Keeping Alive Unsupported Apps

Perhaps what I am suggesting is already out there, if so please let me know.

There are many great Apps out there that are sadly no longer being maintained by their original creators, Systemback being just one of many examples.

Would it be an idea for there to be an online Free Software Support Organisation, with an appropriate name, being created to breathe new life into apps that are no longer supported, so as to ensure their survival? In so doing they would help keep worthwhile apps alive and up to date and also make Free Software a lot more serious and attractive alternative.

Those of us who do not have the skills for directly helping with the app support, could nevertheless assist by a voluntary funding model.

If such an idea were adopted, it would also be great if people could also suggest unsupported Apps to be maintained.

Lastly I wish to thank Abishek and his IT’SFOSS colleagues for their excellent posts, which I have often turned to for helping me through my Linux Journey

2 Likes

Welcome netsurfer38. There is usually a good reason for loss of support for apps.

There is quite a problem just recognizing unsupported apps.
What the R community do with CRAN packages is insist that package maintainers have a valid email address. If the email address disappears the package is moved to an ‘orphan’ category. That does not keep it maintained, but at least users know it is unmaintained.
Neville

Thanks for the wonderful wishes :slight_smile:

The idea you shared is quite good. In fact, around 2014-15, I thought of something similar and even started some work on it.

The project was called Open Envelope (some long time It’s FOSS readers might even remember it being mentioned in the newsletter).

The concept of Open Envelope was pretty much what you want. Reviving open source applications that are no longer being developed.

You create an ‘envelope’ for the project. People who are interested would put money in the envelope and some developers may work on new features and fixing bugs to claim the money in that ‘envelope’.

I was naive at that time, writing on It’s FOSS alone after my regular work hours. I could not execute this idea and it went into the list of projects I could not complete.

1 Like

Hi Abishek, your Open Envelope idea sounds like it was exactly in line with what I am suggesting. A pity that it did not happen. Hopefully someone will come up with some brilliant way to encourage teams of developers to keep worthwhile apps alive.

Here is my contribution:

How to run Peerguardian on Ubuntu/Lubuntu 19.10 18, all the rest.

Configure your system to know about the packages
Add these entries to /etc/apt/sources.list:

1-CODE: SELECT ALL

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

2- paste:

deb Index of /debian stretch main
deb-src Index of /debian stretch main

3- Save & close

4- Add gpg key to the apt keyring:
CODE: SELECT ALL

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C0145138
gpg --export --armor C0145138 | sudo apt-key add -