Just as there are decentralized applications, would it be possible to have a decentralized operating system?

Just as there are decentralized applications, would it be possible to have a decentralized operating system?

Lately I read about the decentralized GUI protocol called Block, the idea is that everyone creates a network of visual components to be used throughout the network, so that one or more applications have, according to the block protocol, better usability, consistency . In this regard, I think that the idea of ​​a decentralized graphical interface can make the web more semantic, viable. Especially because it makes the development of the frontend of web applications even easier.

An idea that happened to me today randomly, is that in the same way we have a malleable interface, decentralized as suggested by the block protocol. If It would be if it would be possible to have a decentralized operating system. I think initially, that most of the memory tools, memory management if they are decentralized applications would be theoretically possible. The graphical interface of an operating system is something important for the user to carry out his actions, etc. One way to make the graphical interface of an operating system decentralized would be if this graphical interface were part of the block protocol as well.

As you see, this is nothing new.

That is something different from distributed computing, as I see it.
You are not talking about Plan 9 or Amoeba. You are not talking about client/ server stuff with X11.
You want users to create display modules,and to distribute them .
I have difficulty with that concept. A gui is often something quite personal… it is right at the user interface end of computing. Sharing that is much more of a challenge than sharing cpu load.
In one sense, the gui part of Linux is already completely decentralized… each user has own separate gui… but it is not therefore shared.

The gui part of linux is one of the most troublesome parts of the software. I was at one stage argueing to take the gui out of software and implement it with hardware. That would be the opposite of what you are considering

Regards
Neville