KDE Neon freezes on boot

I did a clean install of KDE Neon 6 when it came out. It worked quite well for about a month. Then, on March 26, after who knows how many upgrades and two kernel updates, it started freezing when i try to boot.
The sequence is: flashing cursor in the upper left corner, kde splash screen (about 5 seconds), flashing cursor again (about 10 seconds), a very quick flash of light in the center of the screen, then blackness. No mouse, no keyboard (eg, no NumLock light). It takes a hard reboot to get out.
I have a workaround (recovery boot, resume booting, install updates, then reboot). I also have Timeshift installed. It is also one of 3 OSs i use, so it isn’t urgent. Also, KDE 6 is getting lots of bug fixes, so it may be just a matter of time before a fix is available.
Now for my question. There are a lot of logs i can look at, but which one will help me figure this one out, given that it freezes before fully booting?

If it freezes during boot, the only log to look at is dmesg

You could try the nomodeset kernel boot parameter. That
disables having the kernel try to bring up X and goes back to the old fashioned way of doing it with xorg.conf.
You can set kernel boot parameters in the grub menu. Type e to get an editor .

4 Likes

On which distro?

By any chance, do you have an nvidia card?

2 Likes

You could have tricked me. I thought neon was a DE.

1 Like

Nvidia?
Guilty as charged, but using Nouveau

Hi Cliff,
I don’t know how to help you solve your problem, but I found the following posts:

Have you tried selecting an old kernel in grub that you haven’t uninstalled and trying it out to see if you really have a problem?

Jorge

2 Likes

These posts are very interesting. I had the older version (5.27) of KDE Neon installed at first, and upgrading failed for some of the same reasons (mostly a basket full of unmet dependencies). THat is why I erased the partition and did a clean install of KDE Neon 6.
It ran well for about a month before those failures at bootup, so I suspect, as @nevj indicated, it may be a Wayland issue or, as @kovacslt hinted, another Nvidia problem.

1 Like

I thought about that. What stops me is unnecessarily repeating a problem that requires a hard reboot from the power button. My grub has only one older kernel (6.5.0-26), so I could try that. But maybe adding nomodeset in the kernel parameters is a better thing to try?

3 Likes

Hi Cliff,

Yes, Neville had already mentioned testing with nomodeset parameter.
It’s a matter of trying it out to see if it works. However, and I don’t have the knowledge to say this, I believe that the nomodeset parameter is not meant to be used as a definitive solution.

Don’t you have access to a virtual terminal after booting up?

BTW, I found the following info from a bug, which is old, and I believe it refers to 12th Generation Intel Core Processors, which I’m not sure is the case with you. If your processor is of this generation, try the ibt=off parameter.

Post on reddit:
PSA. If you run kernel 5.18 with NVIDIA, pass ibt=off to your kernel cmd line if your NVIDIA driver refuses to load.

Jorge

2 Likes

Hi Cliff,

Just two curious questions. Is your machine a triple boot system and what three OS’s are you using?

Best Regards,
Howard

2 Likes

Three on an SSD. I have Mint on sda1 and sda2 (home and root), KDE Neon on sda3 (I have tried a few here) and my main driver is Windows 10 on sda4.

1 Like

And I beleived the same, that’s why I asked.
So it’s a distro…

I have nvidia cards too.
AFAIK the newest KDE 6 defaults to wayland.

Wayland +nvidia with KDE is known to be kind of problematic. To be honest, I have no idea what can cause your issue, I have just a slight suspition that you either need to do some special treatment to use X11, or something else about nvidia config.

3 Likes

So is it your suggestion to add nomodeset permanently to the kernel boot parameters?

Try it temporarily first.
It may not help. Only a suggestion.

1 Like