KeePassXC and Debian won`t work for me

Foss just published a article about KeyPassXC but when i try it , it simply does not work on my debian box no matter what version of deb i`m running. Can anybody explain this ?

what version of debian are you running? can you explain what you mean by “simply does not work”? it won’t open when you click the icon? it won’t accept input?

What do you mean?
…

I have trouble loading entries from a cvs file it does not install them in usable form & it won`t auto-log into sites, i keep getting a error message some add-on is needed or something like that…Debian 10.4 but it never worked with any version of deb.I have tried.

See the below post…

which web browser are you using?

I’m going to give it a try - at the moment I’m using both KeepAss2 and KeepAssX [sic] - fortunately both can read the same database… neither of them are ideal - and have a look and feel of something written for Windows 95… KeepAssX looks slightly more modern and feels a bit snappier, but they’ve hidden the find option from the interface (have to Ctrl+F or Edit Find, which is a PITA)…

Currently downloading binaries (deb files for ubuntu and debian buster) - installing it on my work Ubuntu 20.04 laptop - will install it and try to use it on buster on my RPi 4B when I get home from work…
– update –
KeepAssXC seems to work okay on my Ubuntu 20.04 machine, can’t really tell the difference between KeepAss2 and KeepAssXC… is there a difference? anyone know?
– update –
will report back in a few hours as to whether I run into any issues on debian (raspbian) buster…

Note: when I installed it on Ubuntu - (sudo dpkg -i keepassxc_2.4.3+dfsg.1-1build1_amd64.deb) I had to immediately afterwards run “sudo apt install -f” to grab the dependancies it needs…

I think many people ask themselves this type of question, so I will answer from my personal experience, directed at everyone:
https://keepass.info/download.html

Visiting this link, you can see all the different KeePass software. There are many different ones.
I have tried a couple of them and always came to the conclusion, that the original KeePass software is the best, with the highest compatability with plugins, etc. Most of those alternative software are inferior to the original. Since I found that out, I use the original and see no point in using any derivative or alternative, because the original KeePass software is overall the best and can be extended with one of the many plugins available, anyway:
https://keepass.info/plugins.html

What more do you expect in any other KeePass alternative?

(Not counting in Android, etc. because that’s a different topic. Only talking about Windows/BSD/Linux here.)

3 Likes

It is the same with every browser i tried it on. FireFox right now.

1 Like

This page is familiar as i tried KeyPass as well with the same result on every browser i tried it on.

All the above and more. Deb 10.4 i tried with a few other versions with the same result.

It would help if you could post a video of what you are trying to do, including all steps necessary to perform what you are trying to do.

Not for me, i tried the original & variants with the same results on different browsers.

If you want full on browser integration - I’d suggest you’re barking up the wrong tree…

I used to use LastPass - and there was a browser plugin that seemed to work (even on Linux desktops) - but that’s not for me…

I’d rather just copy the password into the clipboard (e.g. from KeepAss2 or whatever) and then paste it into a browser Window (in the tiny little time windows KeepAss lets you keep it in the clipboard)…

Most of the time? I have many of the passwords I use on a daily basis, stored in “hidden” text files, I can just cat that file (hidden to all but my account, with 0600 octal permissions, stored on encrypted storage) then use X window’s select buffer to middle-click paste them… other passwords? Sometimes I use “sshpass” if I have to login to 95 Linux/Unix servers that don’t support SSH keys and I use a pipe to cat that password into my sshpass loop… somethingg like “cat ~/.hiddenfiles/$hiddenfile | sshpass -p- ssh user@Linuxbox” (where “-p-” = the second “hyphen” means standard input - it’s just too easy… sorry… not sorry). :smiley:

As for KeepAssXC on debian 10 - I agree - it doesn’t seem to install (on Rasbian/Debian Buster armhf arch) - I installed the deb using dpkg, and it failed, then I did “sudo apt install -f” and all it did was remove keepassxc…

Oh well… works everywhere else I need it - KeepAss2 databases on Linux desktops - and - keepass2 databases on Windows servers… too easy…

Hi,
A little off topic, but why did you stop using LastPass and 2, your opinion on LastPass.
I currently use LastPass with FireFox.

Thanks,
Howard

easyt50 I’m interested in the answer also.
I tried KeePass many years ago, but had difficulties with it.
Like you, I use the cross platform LastPass in 4 different browsers, and a host of OS’s, but think I’ll give KeePass another try, hoping it has improved.
Perhaps then I’ll be able to shed some light.

2 Likes

I t does not work at all for me , it does not the way it is supposed to/

I ran into a few issues occasionally with accessing Lastpass over the web - and decided I’d rather trust local storage than relying on the cloud…

Also - I’m old fashioned - I never rely (or trust) services with plugins that type in passwords for me - I’d rather use the local clipboard on my O/S and copy+paste…

Plus also - I use KeepAss in my job every day, all day, and keep copies of all the DB’s I need locally (about 8 separate databases)… Supposedly we (my employer) moved to Thycotic Secret Server product 18+ months ago, but NONE of my colleagues are using it either… So it kinda made sense to go back to using KeepAss [sic] again for my personal needs too…

I have all my keepass db’s sync’d across multiple computers, and nothing stored in the cloud…

KeepAss2 looks and feels the most like the Windows version - and the “master / source-of-truth” of one keepass DB I need for one of my customers, is stored on an SMB share on a Windows file server, and sometimes I need to access this via an RDP connection to a Windows server (e.g. if I need to update it to reflect stuff I’ve changed on Linux / Unix servers)…

2 Likes