Kernel 6.5 available for LM 2.3

Read this today on LM blog.

"This is a quick announcement to let you know an “Edge” ISO image is now available for Linux Mint 21.3.

This image is made for people whose hardware is too new to boot the 5.15 LTS kernel included in Linux Mint 21.x. It ships with kernel 6.5 instead.

For information on Edge ISO images visit https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/edge.html."

3 Likes

I just installed it as a fresh install. So far, so good.

Sheila Flanagan

3 Likes

I am just wondering how big this dang kernel is? After a fresh install of LM edge you’d think Timeshift would not take 2 hours to make a snapshot. And now trying to restore an older snapshot (while I guess it is comparing all these new files to the old ones) it is taking forever even for a dry run.

Sheila Flanagan

Shame they don’t do Xfce and Mate environments as edge too. Though this edge ISO is mainly for DDR5 builds I guess? I have the last DDR4 AMD Ryzen 5700x 8 cores 16 threads. Luckily the 5.15 Kernel still runs with this. Though using 21.3 with the 6.5 from out of the kernel picker in the view kernel section in the update manager.

1 Like

Gentoo is running 6.6.13, Mint is always lagging, have no idea what Debian is running.

It’s to do with when the ISO is released, through the testing stage, then onto the beta, then by the time it finally gets released, it is out of date. Though saying that it is better than the 6.2, which was having gripes with hardware and other stuff. No doubt Gentoo’s 6.6 is out of date already too? Don’t quote me on that though.

Gentoo will more than likely install 6.6.14, if I let it!!!

The idea of a release, is to keep the kernel development in sync with all the apps ( and the apps with one another).
User space does interact with kernel space, they have to be matched.

With Gentoo (and other rolling releases) there has to be continuous matching. I have no idea how rolling releases achieve that, but they are today remarkably successful.
I never have update issues with Gentoo or Void or Solus, it just works, and I imagine Arch is the same.

Fixed release updates are generally succesful too. They do a thorough job of making everything compatible and they hold everything until it all works together, so it is bound to be slow.
Until recently, fixed releases hardly ever updated a kernel
within a release, they just did security patches. That is changing.

1 Like