Krusader will not start

I installed Krusader a while back after reading a article on itsfoss. I had a little trouble using it and just never got back to it. I had a need to use it today and when clicking the icon - nothing happens. So I clicked it again. I got a phone call - walked away - came back - still not up. Checked in processes and there are two processes, but will not come up.

Below is what I found when running it again and watching the log:

`6/25/20 4:48 PM org.kde.ActivityManager Creating the cache for: “applications:org.kde.krusader.desktop”

6/25/20 4:48 PM org.kde.ActivityManager Already in database? true

6/25/20 4:48 PM org.kde.ActivityManager First update : QDateTime(2020-04-30 16:43:23.000 CDT Qt::TimeSpec(LocalTime))

6/25/20 4:48 PM org.kde.ActivityManager Last update : QDateTime(2020-06-25 16:46:18.000 CDT Qt::TimeSpec(LocalTime))

6/25/20 4:48 PM org.kde.ActivityManager After the adjustment

6/25/20 4:48 PM org.kde.ActivityManager Current score : 4.17377

6/25/20 4:48 PM org.kde.ActivityManager First update : QDateTime(2020-04-30 16:43:23.000 CDT Qt::TimeSpec(LocalTime))

6/25/20 4:48 PM org.kde.ActivityManager Last update : QDateTime(2020-06-25 16:46:18.000 CDT Qt::TimeSpec(LocalTime))

6/25/20 4:48 PM org.kde.ActivityManager Interval length is 0

6/25/20 4:48 PM org.kde.ActivityManager New score : 5.17377

it would be helpful to know what distro and version you are using.

1 Like

Kubuntu 18.04

llllllllllllllllllll

has it ever worked correctly?

1 Like

Yes. I used it 5 or 6 times and never had a problem with it starting.
I just had trouble easily using it.

1 Like

sometimes running programs from the terminal will show errors.

1 Like

$ krusader
Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.

I had tried that before and the above is the output.
I have been doing searches on this but… not showing
much.

Completely removed and then ran again, process is there running under plasmashell but still does not come up.

by completely removed, do you mean through whatever software center program kubuntu has or did you purge it from the command line?

1 Like

Yes. Clicked remove completely and clicked apply.

2 Likes

$ dbus-launch krusader
Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
org.kde.knotifications: env says KDE is running but SNI unavailable – check KDE_FULL_SESSION and XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP

2 Likes

the next mostly easy question would be whether or not you have rebooted recently.

after that there are other troubleshooting methods i can think of (launch krusader while also running journalctl -f, strace). in the end though i would wonder absent a quick easy fix, if there is something krusader does that some other program might also be capable of since this one appears to be ornery.

1 Like

Shut down this morning for 20 min.
Rebooted this afternoon after testing a new hard drive.
During these posts, Ive removed the app again, rebooted,
installed, attempted to run, posted the the response.

2 Likes

Bugger, hit enter too fast.

Its a much more powerful version of Dolphin.
Several of my clients use it and a few programmers I work
with use it so we are all trying to get on the same page.

Dont know what it just stopped though.

2 Likes

i’m not seeing anything that looks particularly helpful when running a search for those messages either.

one option would be to try installing from the source in case you have a different version (the one in the ubuntu repos appears to be 2.6.0): https://krusader.org/

for continued troubleshooting, the next thing i would try would be to run journalctl -f in a terminal while launching krusader to see if there are more context clues in the logs.

1 Like

Could you try to delete Krusader’s configuration (rm ~/.kde/share/config/krusaderrc) and then start Krusader?

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=136181

1 Like

I do not have that file at all.

Well - actually I do - I have three different files.
home/user/.config/krusader/krusaderrc
home/usrer/.krusaderrc
home/user/.krusadercc1

I deleted them all - did a complete removal - reinstall
and it now starts up.

2 Likes

Now there is a home/user/.config/krusaderrc file

So, now Im wondering - how did I get these other three?
Why wasnt the other one there? Could that have happened
from the uninstalls reinstalls? Ugh…

Its working - leaving it for now hah

Yes. Additionally, it seems like this program changed its config directories over the years.

2 Likes