Laa Tinvaal Sonney Diu Happy Tynwald Day

Laa Tinvaal Sonney Diu, Happy Tynwald Day. It is the day when the Isle of Man celebrates our national day and new laws are proclaimed in front of the nation and become law, they do not become law until they have done this. They are read out in English and Manx. People can petition directly to the court and many do which may or may not go further and become law.
The gathering is held on Tynwald Hill which is composed of soil from each of the Parishes of the Island and there is a fair with stalls and entertainment.

Some facts for you Tynwald is the oldest continuous, parliament in the world, being over 1,000yrs old. The Isle of Man was the first nation in the world to give women the vote.

4 Likes

Is “Tynwald” the same thing as “the thing”?

Also IoM is home to the world’s greatest motorcycle racing! :smiley:

Is that where you live @ElectricDandySlider ?

That is how it is translated from the Viking. We are a Celtic nation, the Viking ruled us, or more like settled here and we tamed them. Many of our place names are a mixture of both Manx Celtic and Viking.
Yes we are home to the world’s greatest Road Racing in the world and it remains completely free to watch and always will do so. We not only have the TT we have the Southern 100 & the Manx (can’t get used to the new name).
Yes I am proud to call it my home.

I’m very interested in Celtic “stuff” (although it is an oft “abused” term)… being about 1/3 Irish myself (from all over Ireland - paternally and maternally)… Dublin was founded by Norsemen - but eventually became Celtic and Gaelic speaking (until the Normans invaded a few years later)…

The Vikings usually adopted the language of their “hosts” when they settled somewhere (i.e. when not conducting lightning raids for booty), French when they invaded Northern France, Gaelic in Ireland (Brian Boru himself was part Viking) and Isle of Man and parts of Scotland, Slavic when they became the Rus of Novgorod and Kiev, probably Greek when they formed the Varangian guard in Byzantium/Constantinople…

The Viking as such were Celts who went a “viking” that is wandering, as were the Normans (North Men) and there was no single Celtic nation, it was a term invented. There are still strong links in the USA and Isle of Man, because like many of the Irish they settled there. As part of the celebrations we have Home comers week leading up to today.

Great place to visit and live … spent many happy hours in Douglas, and watching the tt, grand prix, even walked the circuit when you had walking races there. Last time spent a couple of hours in the pool at the new sports centre …
I even applied for a job but was turned down as I was not at that stage a Manx resident.
Did at one stage think of my retirement to the island but chose France instead.
Anyway back to Linux… don’t think there is a Manx version… but could be proved wrong especially if I look at tails (best joke I could think up at the time) but am I being catty… ha ha ha

2 Likes

You can use Manx in Debian, MDE. and I think a few more as your language of choice, but as so many terms are in English, it is not really worth doing. We still have the Parish if you want to give that a go only 85 miles long. Work permits were a pain but there for protection. Even if you live else where promise we won’t stub you if you come here image

OMG! Not a Manxian!?! You lot are almost as weird as those New Zealand southern islanders. :wink:

1 Like

No not a Manxian:rage::rage::rage: A Manx Man :isle_of_man::isle_of_man::isle_of_man::isle_of_man::wink::wink: Not weird at all, and if you say it again we’ll sail in our long boats and find you and make you learn Manx -

How good is your language skill? I know a Welsh guy who can rattle off some impenetrable phrases, but conversation is a but too far.

Have you seen this lovely clip?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing it Cliff.

I named my Banana Pi after the Welsh word for banana : ffrwchnedd

That’s SEVEN consonants before getting to a vowel! :smiley:

3 Likes

It is very much like that here Cliff although our govenment does promote the language and we have a totally Manx school where the children are taught in Manx and Manx is taught in other schools. We have our national radio station, Manx Radio, which promotes the language. Day to day most people speak English as the other island dominates. However there is a strong revival of our native Manx language, I understand more than I can speak at the moment to be honest but am going to go back to evening classes when we’ve settled after the move to start again. Slightly off topic, my grandmother was from Wales and couldn’t speak English until she 10, so the “Celtic” bond is strong in me