Large 16.04 LTS updates

Thought that this post was better under topic for discussion rather than just ubuntu. :face_with_monocle:
Perhaps admin would like to transfer post? Okay by me – thanks.

Hey Guys, I have been getting a little perturbed over the past few months over ubuntu 16.04 LTS updates which are now frequently quite large and extensive. As Trisquel is also based on ubuntu 16.04 LTS I am, of course, having to update my two laptops. No – I am not thinking of upgrading my Dell Latitude E6420 to 18 or even 20 and yes I am aware that ubuntu 16.04 LTS is fast approaching end of life :frowning_face: early next year – it’s just too mainstream bloatware for my taste and requirements; reminding me of how we ended up with Win10. :scream: I’m still regularly using WinXP-Pro but still not using (dual boot) Win10 at all on the Dell. :woozy_face:

As a matter of interest; could I ask our knowledgeable members and staff if there is any underlying reason as to why so many large updates are required for 16.04 LTS? Are we subject to any recent security threats :bomb: :dash: :supervillain: for instance or is the footprint just getting ever larger? Not as I use the ubuntu-Dell much these days it does seem to be stable and fast when using web, photo editing or FreeCAD.

With so many ubuntu based distros in use; is there a consensus :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: on what is the best none ubuntu based medium footprint distro? Are those Minty guys still developing an ubuntu free version? Have any members installed the latest Trisquel 9.0 – if so on what hardware? How many of us have stayed with 16.04 LTS? Of that number who has or is going to switch to what?
Thanks guys - Stay Safe. :mask:

It’s all a question of perspective: When it comes to servers with multiple users and critical corporate processes, I see the point of not upgrading too often (If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it) but for desktops and notebooks: why wouldn’t you use the most recent version? Usually, the newer versions need less resources and are therefore often better for older computers.

I always did rolling upgrades and never had any issues with them, though I admit that from forum posts one might deduce that other people had not always had the same experience.

As far as updates are concerned, I cannot speak about the 16 versions anymore as I am on 20 with all devices. I haven’t noticed an increased frequency of updates over the last 10 years or so.

I was really amused when I read your question whether there was any kind of consensus about …

People never ever agree on anything. If there were a reason for me to leave the Ubuntu universe (I am on Kubuntu as I always preferred KDE over Gnome), I’d go either for Arch, in order to feel like a real pro, or OpenSuse - back to my beginnings.

2 Likes

Hey Mina, thanks for responding to my questions. Glad you found some amusement within a consensus – perhaps take a look at DistroWatch dot com to see the hit parade?
Shocked to the core by… :astonished:

….thought as with Windows you needed ever later computers with more RAM, more HD space and faster chips as the versions roll on – you say no. Can I install Win10 on my old Pentium2 Win95 desktop computer? :face_with_monocle: Just took a look at desktop image for 16.04.7 LTS being 1.6G whereas for 20.04.1 LTS it jumps by quantum leap to 2.6G. I know this is only a rough comparison but this in part is what I refer to as being bloated. There does seem to be a consensus that 16 recommended HD of 25G can run on 10G. Again 20.04 requires 25G and also dump your 32 bit system for a 64 bit system – Er, new computer perhaps?
I suppose you are correct as I must admit the ongoing posts 18 and now 20 sounding like an agony Aunt page month after month does put me off. :woozy_face:
Still none the wiser regarding recent large updates for 16 LTS :thinking:

Looking at this very plainly, this is correct. However, I find those increased demands very well justified. Newer systems mostly are better suited for today’s internet and apps. So even if you are happy with your stone age Ubuntu, that can handle your computer, then this does not mean that this stone age Ubuntu can handle what it is supposed to handle, nowadays. E.g. a 20 year old computer would maybe run Ubuntu 10.04 well, but the computer would still be useless, because it could barely load a website filled with JavaScript and other bloat.

Specifically the increased demand for higher storage capacity is very justified, in my opinion.
Nowadays, for about 150 bucks you can buy an 8TB hard drive! (Or roughly 100 bucks for a used one.)
So an increase from 10GiB, over 20GiB to 25GiB is from today’s perspective absolutely minimal, anyway.
Back in the '90s maybe your 4GB hard drive was a big deal, but 4GB is today nothing but a little tip on the mountain of storage space, every normal computer has.

Nowadays, if you need a couple of GiB more, then you can use some free cloud storage, where they offer 1GB, 5GB or 10GB cloud storage for free. So just because of the progress in time, you already save more space than you lose.

If you buy a really cheap pre-built computer today, it is almost guaranteed to contain a hard drive or even SSD that has at least 1TB storage size. Now ask this storage medium, if it cares about the 5GiB more that you have in the newly demanded 25GiB. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m still kind of new to Linux, having just started with Linux Mint 18.3 about 2 years ago. I now have LM 20 on my laptop and LM 19.3 on my desktop. But I too, got the same feeling about the updates.

1 Like

Hey @easyt50 So we are about the same on the Linux pathway and both using ubuntu based systems. I am also using native ubuntu 16.04 LTS and we both are a little wary of frequent large updates. :frowning: I might jump to something Minty when LTS runs out. @abhishek reckons Mint is better than ubuntu for beginners…

but…. For me it is also a choice of direction and trust…

Still I have some time yet to make a choice for an ubuntu alternative system. Well, hello Debbie :woman: Debian :cupid: No doubt a topic will be raised nearer the end of life for 16 :ghost:

2 Likes

Re Mint-Ubuntu free, yes they released LMDE several months ago, and, it is GOOD. Please let me suggest you check it out: https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php. Burn it to a DVD and run it as a “live dvd”, to see for yourself. I’ve been a “more than satisfied” Mint user for 12 years now.

2 Likes

Thanks @tosim91 I have explored mint and MX via live DVD previously, was hoping for less bloat than ubuntu but it seems their goal with LMDE-4 is to make it as close to current mint as possible. :roll_eyes: Still, not relying on canon ubuntu is a plus for me :slightly_smiling_face:
So we have our own FOSS page LMDE review that isn’t a review at all - just a paste job! Please could we have something better or is it so close to mint-19 that it is not worth the time and effort?
Comments section though is quite interesting with some alluding to my worst nightmare that ubuntu and regular mint 19 -20 are getting like a bloated Win10 – Gah :nauseated_face:
Makes me feel like staying as far away from both brands as possible – perhaps revisit MX-19 Linux or investigate Hyperbola GNU/Linux and PureOS.
:deer: gNewSense Skeleton :skull_and_crossbones: may make an appearance in 2021.

Tux Machines have some sort of supposed review by listing other sources of information and there is also a video as you scroll down - LMDE 4 Debbie Run Through – Poor low resolution but gives some idea of what to expect. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I have used, and have, both AntiX, and MX each on older laptops, and also on a bootable flasahcard using the program Pentoy. If you want OS’s that are very small, have no junk, and are extremely fast, you should checkout various “Puppies” and “Dogs”. I’ve been “playing” with many different ones for about 3 years now, and they come in 32b and 64b OS’s. I’d recommend FossaDog,64b to start. Very current, very fast, LTS. Great help in all Puppy and Dog forums.Below
are 3 GREAT Puppy/Dog url’s.
https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz04fossadog.html

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=478  

https://forum.puppylinux.com/