LFS FOSS Live CD

I had compiled LFS-7.9 long back (compiled Seamonkey, MPlayer etc.,) and now I started LFS-8.4. I booted into LFS successfully and while trying BLFS, I got stuck at GLib-2.58.3. There is no error in compilation but, strangely, there is no library file which is /usr/lib/glib2.0 as per BLFS book. While searching for a solution in Google, I came across FOSS Live CD. I immediately downloaded it and ran it in Virtualbox. I will be happy to hear from users who have used this Live CD. For long, I have been receiving mail from FOSS but I have missed Live CD somehow.
Thanks in advance.
P.S: My letter to LFS forum appeared today (15th July 2019) and I am awaiting the solution in due course.

2 Likes

do you have a download link for the cd?

Yes. I downloaded this morning by visiting FOSS website. Or please Google for " FOSS + LFS Live CD"

the live cd looks interesting (if i found the right link). are you hoping to use it to repair or help figure out how to repair your BLFS installation?

Firstly welcome to our community. Is this the link you are referring to? 20 Best Linux Books You Can Download For Free Legally As it was the one I came up with when I looked at your post. I remembered reading it some time ago as I do with most things from the It’s Foss site

From planet Earth. In need of translator. Maybe google will tell me about these strange letters;
LFS, BLFS, GLib. LMAO

1 Like

LFS = Linux From Scratch
BLFS = Beyond LFS
GLib = GNU Library
LMAO = Laugh My (something) Off

1 Like

Do you need the live CD of the latest version of LFS? I am in touch with the developer so I can remind him to update this LFS live CD project.

3 Likes

Thanks @cliffsloane. Learn something today. Sounds like LFS is a Linux w/o a distro?

1 Like

Dear Mr. Abhishek,

Than you for your kind offer. BTW, it is a great service you are doing for FOSS community. Please keep it up.

Regarding Live CD, there is no doubt that your friend has put in a lot of efforts. But I am unable to get benefit out of it because I could not find enough documentation. Also, one of the important programs, viz., wget is not there. So, in my opinion, it is better to release Live CD with minimum GUI like LXDE with wget, dhcpcd, wpa_supplicant, firefox or seamonkey etc., so that people can straight away start compiling additional programs like OpenOffice, evince etc. Once they get the taste of LFS, they can start fresh as per the book. I have told a number of people, mainly youngsters but excepting one middle-aged person, nobody has bothered to even download LFS book.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Regards.

Yours,

V S Nagasayanam.
P.S. My reply via Gmail bounced. I suppose I should reply via the forum.

2 Likes

I’ll have to check if there is a technical issue with the forum’s server.

I have informed the developer, Rizwan anyways. He should take your feedback in consideration. I am not sure about the GUI part because the entire concept of LFS is to create everything from scratch.

2 Likes

As Abhishek informed me about the discussion, I have come to become part of this. Let’s get into the point, it’s right that there isn’t much documentation about that Live CD. I started it as hobby project and my main reason was to learn something from LFS. Now as you are talking about GUI, GUI isn’t the part of LFS, LFS is only the core. GUI is part of BLFS. I agree with your point about releasing a Live CD with GUI. I never tried BLFS. I only tried LFS and after doing that I released it to inspire people. Now it’s also his/her job to find a suitable environment where LFS can be build (mainly first stage of the book). I find one also, I mainly built it on Linuxmint. In every stage he/she will learn something new and that’s the point of doing LFS. I tried LFS hoping to create distro, but then I realized for one person it’s too difficult to maintain. So, after LFS I moved on Arch Linux to gain my thing. And I created one called MagpieOS a full running distribution. And then I abandoned LFS LiveCD project, stopped further development. Also there is one most asked question on my mail, how did I created ISO from LFS. I had used Slax Linux’s livecd creation tool to make my work done. But now slax linux moved to debian and I don’t know how to create ISO from current day’s LFS project. Because of I abandoned that project, I am not giving any time to figure out current ISO problem’s solution. Thanks for trying out that Live CD.

3 Likes

Thanks Abhishek for making a forum of itsfoss and also inviting me to take part of this discussion :blush:

3 Likes

Firstly Rizwan welcome to our community. Thank you for your full explanation on this which I found very interesting as will others on here.
I look forward to your further contributions here :grinning:

3 Likes