Librewolf Is Now Available Arch’s Extro Repo

As of today, you can install Librewolf from Arch’s extra repository.

  • sudo pacman -S librewolf - Nice to have one less AUR app…
╭─ ~ ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── 09:05:10 AM 
╰─❯ sudo pacman -S librewolf
[sudo] password for wombat: 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: librewolf-153.0.3_1-1 and librewolf-bin-1:153.0.1_1-1 are in conflict. Remove librewolf-bin? [y/N] y

Package (2)      Old Version    New Version  Net Change   Download Size

librewolf-bin    1:153.0.1_1-1               -449.17 MiB               
extra/librewolf                 153.0.3_1-1   285.81 MiB      78.14 MiB

Total Download Size:     78.14 MiB
Total Installed Size:   285.81 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      -163.36 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 librewolf-153.0.3_1-1-x86_64                                78.1 MiB  31.4 MiB/s 00:02 [--------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                          [--------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                        [--------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                             [--------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                       [--------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) removing librewolf-bin                                                            [--------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) installing librewolf                                                              [--------------------------------------------------] 100%
Optional dependencies for librewolf
    hunspell-dictionary: Spell checking
    libnotify: Notification integration [installed]
    networkmanager: Location detection via available WiFi networks [installed]
    speech-dispatcher: Text-to-Speech
    xdg-desktop-portal: Screensharing with Wayland [installed]
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/3) Updating icon theme caches...
(3/3) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

╭─ ~ ───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── 28s  09:05:43 AM 
╰─❯

Do I have to do anything to access this extra repo?

It seems you just used pacman and it automatically found it.

That’s because it’s in the Arch Extra repo. As I said… just run sudo pacman -S librewolf. it installs from Extra. If you have the AUR version installed, you’ll be asked to remove that.

See here…

looking for conflicting packages...
:: librewolf-153.0.3_1-1 and librewolf-bin-1:153.0.1_1-1 are in conflict. 
Remove librewolf-bin? [y/N] y

I love LibreWolf. My favorite Firefox-based browser. I use it daily alongside Firefox.

When might I need Firefox (Firefox ESR is already installed) if I have LibreWolf, please?

Please disregard - I just read a brief summary of the reasons.

@kd4e I use multiple browsers (all Firefox-based). Firefox itself, I have been using since its inception and going back to its predecessor. However, over time, as Mozilla began making decisions I did not agree with (from telemetry collection to Pocket and AI), I started running privacy-hardening JS scripts. There are many out there, Arken is probably the best, but my script takes more of a moderate approach. As it is, I do this because I actually prefer Firefox and want to preserve it and keep it (and not sellout and go over to Chrome).

Yes, I know it’s more “convenient” not to do that. Well, I am on Linux, so I obviously do not mind doing extra work to get what I want when I use technology. Same applies to my web browsing because I need to have multiple browsers, which I prefer doing to isolate my use cases.

I use multiple browsers too … especially in Android, but also on Linux. I commonly run Waterfox as well as Firefox, and if I am doing secure stuff like banking, I run them inside firejail.

Today 21 September was installed Peppermint OS Trixie - 64 bits.

It has by default LibreWolf installed and yes, according with its own Help/About. It is based on Firefox.

Time to use it!

Last time I tried Peppermint (the Devuan version) it had some issues with booting, but was usable.
There was no LibreWolf then.

Last time I tried Peppermint (the Devuan version) it had some issues with booting

Interesting. Did you create a report in its official Forum? SourceForge

Just in case I am working with VirtualBox

There was no LibreWolf then.

When did you install the OS itself? 1 or 2 years ago?

It would be 2 years. I think. I did not notice any LibreWolf? Maybe I used it without noticing … it looks like Firefox.

At least with the Logo color blue vs orange should be first indicator that something is different

I think I remember now, I think it was LibreWolf . I was more interested in the init system at the time.