Linux Desktop Share

We are over 4 percent desktop shares, looks like those that went back to windoz come back to linux. The more people know there is a better OS waiting for them.
Window users sittings on the boondocks

1 Like

Where did you get that info and where are the numbers from

Always better with a link to the sorce

2 Likes

Maybe from here:

1 Like

That subject has been debated, for as long as I can remember, without an answer,
only opinions!!!

1 Like

Nearly all of that is down to Steam Deck - but - I have read somewhere there’s been an uptick in Linux desktop adoption where Steam Deck owners have realised they can run the same O/S on a desktop machine instead of, or alongside, Windows.

Meanwhile in Australia - there’s still no “official” supported way of getting a Steam Deck (I thought it was 'cause of our shonky 19th century copper network - but I recently read something hinting it’s more about Gabe Newell [Valve CEO] being shitty at Australia for fining his company millions of dollars) - however - some of the big players, like Acer, Asus, Lenovo are releasing Windows based portable game consoles (and there are already gaming distros catering for some of these devices) - and there are also some generic Chinese x86_64 portable gaming devices. And I think ALL of them are using mobile Ryzen CPU with integrated GPU (i.e. AMD APU / GPU0.

1 Like

StatCounter

3 Likes

Thanks for the link to source.

Trouble is could android and chromeos be considered linux, what is classed as other.

It does not really take into account how many servers, car automotive systems etc as linux based.

So a windows user would go whats linux and why…

Lies damed lies and statistics.

2 Likes

I convert my machines on a need-to basis!!! I have one machine that is running Ubuntu and one laptop that will soon be in need of upgrading to Linux.

1 Like

Android is certainly derived from Linux.
What you mean is are they counting Android as a Linux Desktop… I doubt it… it would be way bigger than 4 percent… Android is the big success in phones and tablets

3 Likes

Hence my comment about statistiques…

1 Like

Just went up again since this post, its now 4.45, that is huge, it will grow more, my partner is asking about using linux in her laptop. Its windows 11 with a I10 so I am going to buy a new HD for her. Should I go M.2 or just ssd

2 Likes

ssd will always work
nvme is faster
some legacy systems lack support for nvme

5 Likes

I am with Neville on this ssd best answer

3 Likes

If the machine has an M.2 NVMe slot, that suggests it is supported and would buy one. They are significantly faster than 2.5 SSD’s.
Take a look here for a rough guide on speed and price comparison.

https://uk.crucial.com/products/ssd

5 Likes

That is what I did, used PCIe for my memory channel.

1 Like