Linux Mint 19.1 kernel problem

No need, this is what I work with since years:

It’s not easy for people who don’t have experience with this, but once you get how it works, there is pretty much no better tool for forensics purposes that works as an OS. This implies that it has functionalities like those that

offer. Otherwise there are many rescue operating systems, but I didn’t use them much or at all, so I can’t comment on them solidly. I remember years ago when I used the Trinity Rescue Kit (TRK) which was great. Sadly, it is discontinued since a long time.

1 Like

I use CloneZilla from a USB pen drive for backup & restore and it works Great. I even read a peice on the web where CloneZilla can load to the ‘/’ root dive and then booted from the Grub menu.

1 Like

dave-I’m pretty sure that you know clonezilla, g-parted, plus tens of thousands more programs are available in Synaptic Package Manager, or, if you prefer gui’s, Software Manager.
As for making that “bundle”, in Puppy, you have the choice of a “makefile.sfs” which would save your apps.You decide where you want that makefile.sfs, which now will be called savefile.sfs, to be saved. It can be on your flash drive, your hdd, etc.

1 Like

Wow, I had no idea you could boot into it. I love learning stuff like that! Thanks!

I just finished playing around with CAINE.

Wow! It does everything and a boat load more!

The perfect sloution.

Thanks, Aiko.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m not sure if we’re talking about the same thing. I’d like to use the live thumb drive–not to install it on an OS on a machine–but as a platform to perform diagnostics and repairs on other machines without having to either phyically remove the drive or attempt operations while sda is mounted and active.

For the longest time I’ve used a boot-able CD of “Redo” for this purpose, but it will not boot from a stick.

Aiko linked me to an app called Caine (see above), which turns out to be exactly what I was looking for–A Mint Mate desktop loaded with every conceivable system tool.

So I have to ask, are you saying I can alter my Puppy iso file prior to burning it unto a thumb drive, so that when I boot it, it will have apps that weren’t there on the original iso? In other words can I turn a Puppy installation thumb drive into a universal disc doctor? And if so, could I add a PPAs to it–for apps no found in Synaptic?

If any of the answers are “yes”, I would love to see a step by step!

Looking forward to your response,
Dave.