Linux Mint 19.3 Beta Now Available for Download

Just a FYI. From the web site.

" We now know that Linux Mint 19.3 will ship with three new apps and feature a revamped set of artwork that, Mint say, “…makes 19.3 feel really fresh”.

We know at least 2 of those 3 new apps already: Celluloid (a user-friendly front to MPV) and Gnote , which replaces Tomboy. The third is Drawing , a Microsoft paint analog."

3 Likes

i was having a conversation just the other day about how for all of the powerful options gimp provides, sometimes i do still wish i had a simpler option like microsoft paint to do easy things quickly instead of having to wade through all kinds of unfamiliar menus to get a red text box to appear around the text i want to highlight in a picture. i will have to give drawing a look-see :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Have been looking for this for a very long time. Then I found Greenshot and now I need an analog to its picture editing part. Actually, I need the entire software ported onto Linux, not an analog. Greenshot is one of the most perfect software I ever used in my life.

This makes me :cry:

2 Likes

Somehow, many years ago I sometimes tried to use Gimp and failed. Later I tried to flatten my problems by adjusting the software. Still failed. I never liked Gimp, but I really really tried using it. Conclusion: to me personally, Gimp is absolutely useless, literally.

2 Likes

Love Mint. Can’t wait to try it out. :smiley:

2 Likes

Been testing it out in a VM for a while today. Ooooo, I like it. I like it a lot! :blush:

Even in beta form, it runs more stable and smoothly than some other distros run fully installed. Very impressed thus far.

I would recommend Pinta. It is basically a Linux version of Pain .NET. I don’t think it has been updated in a while, but it is still very useful.

1 Like

cordx-Take a try of “Kolour Paint”. A good, simple program to get easy jobs done in Linux. For other, more complex work, such as making greeting cards, I use LO Draw. It handles my needs very well.

1 Like

you were not wrong in the least. that is as close to a paint clone as i could have imagined. just being able to resize the canvas with a quick drag and drop is so appreciated. thanks for the recommendation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Went ahead and installed on my daily. It ran so well in a VM, I had little concern there would be any issues. And as no surprise, it’s rock-solid. Everything “just works” as intended. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yesterday, coincidentally my friend was showing something on his desktop and just picked the first random program that seemed like a Paint analog. gPaint did quite good and it is definitely worth trying out, if you are looking for a valid alternative.

2 Likes

Just install Mint 19.3 thru the ‘Update Manager’ and all went well. There are about 16 patches that are ready to apply including a Kernel update. I did not apply all the patches, but did include all the security ones.
Testing out Mint 19.3 now and it feels good.

2 Likes

About 2 weeks with it and zero issues. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@MikeREM, I might have a small problem. Last night I also upgraded my desktop to Mint 19.3 Cinnamon. So now, my laptop & desktop is running Mint 19.3.
The problem I noticed is that on my laptop under Update Manager, it shows a kernel patch / update to 4.15.0-72.81 which sounds right.
On my desktop under Update Manager is also show a kernel patch / update, but to level 5.0.0-32. Under view kernel, it shows all levels of 5.0 to be superseded.

1 Like

i just updated my vm to 19.3 today. in my kernel viewer, it showed all 5.0.0 kernels were superseded except -37 (supported until feb 2020) even as i was given the option to update to -32 by the update manager. i decided to try the -32 update just to see. as soon as i rebooted, i was given the option to update to -37 which is what my vm is using now.

i realize for those of you using mint daily, it makes sense to check for stability. i just thought i would add that my vm seems to be ok on 5.0.0-37.

2 Likes

Yeah, all machines I have running mint, were on 4.15 with 19.2. When I updated them all to 19.3, they also prompted to update the kernel to 5.0.0-37 and so that’s what I did. No issues thus far. I always use which ever kernel is recommended and prompted by the update manager. Hasn’t failed me yet.

2 Likes

!! Surprise !!
Tonight I went to document the difference between my laptop & desktop about the kernel update.
The kernel update on the desktop to kernel 5.0.0 disappear, it’s gone!
I went ahead and apply ALL the updates to both the laptop & the desktop and now both systems are completely up-to-date and shows kernel 14.15.0-72 as active and there are no updates pending.

3 Likes

After the update to 19.3 on Linux Cinnamon …
I am getting ‘System Reports’ - Detected Problems.

1. Install Language Package for chomium-browser and for open office.org
  2. Set the Root Password.

Anyone else getting these messages. BTW, I have a root password.

1 Like

i got both of those in my vm as well. looks like ‘system reports’ is new in 19.3. i accepted and installed the first and installed them because it seemed harmless. i have yet to set up the root password since i don’t use the vm for much. my understanding is that it is asking the user to set a password for the root account which is different from my password that i use for sudo on my own account.

2 Likes

if i am reading this right, the root password is to protect the fact that the system could be booted from the emergency mode from grub by anyone if the root password isn’t set.

1 Like