Linux Mint 19.3 transfer files to Android Phone SD card is SLOW!

I bought a 256GB SD card for a new Android Samsung Galaxy S10E and I’m trying to copy pics and doc files from a Linux laptop to the SD card by USB connection. I expected it to be slow but it seems to have ground to a near halt. Any ideas?
Thanks, Jim
Screenshot from 2020-01-20 19-40-14

what generation is the usb? 1, 2 or 3?

1 Like

It’s a Samsung 256GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card.
When I get a chance, I think I’ll try inserting into the adapter and plugging it right into the laptop. Think that might help?

i think it is definitely worth a try to use the adapter. regardless of the newness of the phone or sd card, translating from computer to usb to card adds extra steps that it seems like using the adapter would cut out of the process.

2 Likes

it just occurred to me that with the Disks program you should be able to test read/write speeds if you want to get a more concrete idea of which method will be faster and how much.

2 Likes

Good idea! Thanks Cordx!

1 Like

There are tens of thousands of files. That could be one of the reasons why the data transfer is slow. Copying a single file of 1 GB takes less time than copying 1000 files of 1 MB.

4 Likes

That makes sense but my files are what they are and the transfer rate started out reasonable and then shrunk to slooooow.
Thanks Abhishek!

1 Like

Well, forgot to chime in when I first read the thread.

I wanted to tell you pretty much the same as abhishek. Especially SD cards nowadays are extremely optimized for huge files of several GB. If you have a lot of small files, this is what SD cards nowadays are least efficient at. What you experience is pretty normal.
That said, do you copy it directly to your SD card or do you copy it to your phone that has the SD card in it? This slows it additionally. Besides that, the CPU needs to handle some load too, so if you have a really old Laptop or just a weak one, this could also impact overall performance. Same with RAM.

2 Likes

I’m going to try it again going straight to the SD card plugged in the computer instead of the phone plugged into the computer USB port. I’ll let you know.
Thanks Akito!

1 Like

for a “bulk” copy of that amount (number files, and size) I’d recommend what everyone else’s saying - don’t do it through USB to your phone…

Recently updgraded my phone from a 64 G SD card to 128, and I used the SD card slot in my laptop to copy everything back (about 60 GB of music files)… woudn’t ever have contemplated doing that over USB with the overhead and clunkiness of Android “MTP” or whatever it’s called…

2 Likes

Thanks Daniel! I’ll try it.

1 Like

I use Ubuntu 18.04 and use Airmore to connect via my wireless and my phone transferring files. You need the app for Android then pull up Airmore.net then scan the QR code and the phone and computer are connected. Go to files on the web site and transfer files. I don’t know if you can do them in bulk but it doesn’t get any easier than that.

2 Likes

Thanks MVELTE54,
That might come in very handy sometime!

1 Like

The only what may be a clue, is the bigger the SD card the slower it is, I have got into a horribly mess and lost stuff because I turned it all off after it sat for hours, but with a smaller SD it works fine, any thing bigger than 64 GB and wont work, I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2 have been for a while, I have had this problem with 18 and 19 and now 19.2. I do not have any idea why and have done a lot of looking and can find no reason. Okay read the other comments, If I plug the phone with USB cord straight to the laptop DELL any thing over 64 just slow as to stop, I have been taking the SD out of phone and put in SD tray on front of laptop not a problem,. have not tried with any thing bigger that 64 GB after problems , I was downloading a ton of pics from phone to laptop using USB cord once,… it just all hung up, for hours, turned all off, lost the lot. All single pictures not in files? but only about 64GB, and yet have never had problem down loading Dash Cam videos of 64GB from SD card put into SD slot/tray on laptop, wouldn’t even try with usb cord between Dash cam and USB port.

1 Like

Clearly off-topic, but who wants to route local files through a webservice to get them local again?
Don’t know if my FF has a problem, but it’s not even secured(?)…
2020-01-27 11_07_43-AirMore

2 Likes

Thought the same and was wondering if I was alone in that thought…

2 Likes

If you are moving sensitive files than yes I would not do it through a web service. If I’m moving music, pictures or movies. I see no problem going this route. As with everything you need to be careful, Scan your files once transfered.

2 Likes

This seems to add another huge step in the whole process that demolishes the whole point of using an external service to make it “easier”…

1 Like

Sorry, no offense, but I had to…

:wink:

3 Likes