Lost Sound in Ubuntu 23.04

Hi KenS,
Thank you for your tests and reply.

I can’t find any differences in the sink of your Ubuntu on your PC and MX Linux.

I ran some tests with the live distros of Ubuntu 22.04.3, Ubuntu 23.04 and MX Linux 23 and these are the results I got:

• Ubuntu 22.04.3: Kernel 6.2.0-26-generic and uses PulseAudio;
  • Ubuntu 23.04: Kernel 6.2.0-20-generic and uses PipeWire;
  • MX Linux 23 : Kernel 6.1.0-10-amd64 and uses PipeWire;

In short, this was your feedback:

• Initially, you were using Ubuntu 23.04 and using PipeWire and you had no sound from the speakers;
  • Then you installed Ubuntu Mantic Minotaur (development branch) and uses PipeWire with kernel 6.5.0-5-generic and still no sound from the speakers;
  • Next, you tested Ubuntu 23.04 distro live, with kernel 6.2.0-20-generic and uses PipeWire and no sound from the speakers;
  • You also tested Ubuntu 22.04.3 distro Live , with kernel 6.2.0-26-generic and uses PulseAudio but you never got any sound from the speakers.
  • Finally, you tested MxLinux 23, I couldn’t find the kernel due to my error, but if you downloaded it before testing it, it was kernel 6.1.0-10 and it uses PipeWire and you got sound from the speakers.

In table format, easier to read:

Distro Kernel Audio Server Sound in the speakers
Ubuntu Mantic Minotaur kernel 6.5.0-5-generic PipeWire NO
Ubuntu 23.04 Live Distro kernel 6.2.20-generic PipeWire NO
Ubuntu 22.04 Live Distro kernel 6.2.0-26-generic PulseAudio NO
Mx Linux Live Distro kernel 6.10.0-10-amd64(?) PipeWire YES

If you want, run MX Linux Live Distro again and run the following command to find out which kernel has sound in the speakers:

uname -a

The MX Linux 23 you tested must be using the LTS 6.1X.XX kernel

I believe the fault may be with the kernel, and I recommend you to use LTS, as Neville mentioned in one of his earlier posts:

The latest LTS kernel is 6.1, As you can see from this list: Longterm release kernels

When the grub menu appears, select “Advanced” and see if you have kernel 6.1X.XX installed.
If you have, select that one, run it and see if you have running sound. If not, install the kernel 6.1X.XX , reboot the PC and in the grub menu, under “advanced” choose the kernel 6.1x.x you have installed, run it and see if you have audio.

If I may ask you a question:
Have you made any other changes to your PC other than those requested here on the forum?
I’m very confused by some of the results

Jorge

2 Likes