Lumina Desktop Environment

Oh yes.
Already done the live iso download.
Will look at that first, but I should do a stage3 install
We need a Gentoo project, but I dont think Lumina is the right thing.
Have to get my experience up first

@nevj
Before you do, let me try something with Gentoo/Lumina with my VM.
The live ISO is nice, it really is not needed, is only for a hard install of Gentoo, you will still have
to download the minimal install ISO for the Gentoo install.
Now, I know you are running either Void or Debian, do either of the two have good support
for VirtualBox? If not, then find a Linux distro that does, like PCLinux, install it, and try Gentoo
in a VM. If you still have Windows installed, use it to install VirtualBox, and try Gentoo in
a VM.
Are you working with a Desktop or Laptop? Can you do a lspci and post the info?

Take your time. I will be slow with this.

Now, I know you are running either Void or Debian, do either of the two have good support
for VirtualBox?

Debian has nothing. Void has some package that supports virtualbox, but I dont think it is the full deal.
I would really prefer to just do a hard install. Why not, is there some problem with hard installs? I know I might have to try 20 times.

Will do the lspci thing tomorrow. I know why you want that . It will be my large desktop. Plenty of disk and memory.

Will this hard Gentoo install be on a separate drive or as a dual boot with Windows or Linux?
Nothing wrong with the Gentoo hard install, but wet your feet with a VM install first. It took me
several tries of a VM install before I finally figured out what I needed and then moved to a hard
install. Welcome to Gentoo!!!

Dual boot with several other linuxes… no Windows
My last effort was a hard install on a laptop, again with one other linux.

Dont like VM… I am happy to repeat hard installs. As long as I dont corrupt other partitions. I will not use Gentoo to control grub, I have Debian doing that on one disk, and Void controlling a second grub on the other disk.
I think I will put it all in one partition… no separate /home or /boot. That actually simplifies my backups because I only ever put dot files in /home. My data is on separate shared partition.

@nevj
OK, you must be running GPT? If so then you have must have an efi and swap partition? Not sure
how Gentoo will mount the partitions? Just make sure “lsblk” is ran and take note of the partition
Gentoo will be mounted on.

We need to work on that laptop.

Yes running gpt. Have an efi partition ,but is legacy boot , not uefi.
Have a BIOS grub partition as well.
Two swap partitions, one on each disk

When I did Gentoo in the laptop, it kept wanting /boot on a separate partition to/. Am I going to encounter that again?

Yes I need ro be careful to identify partitions. I have that trohble with Void too. There are 2 disks, sda and sdb, and the Void installer does not always call disk 1 sda… it seems to be random. I almost wrote on the wrong disk with that. Is Gentoo likre that?

Why the laptop. It is old and 32 bit. I need the best computer for this

@nevj
No you do not!!! Gentoo has a 32bit ISO. Does it still run?
Why are you using GPT, do you have any special need for GPT? If you have to have a
bios_grub partition, then your PC bios is not uefi. Yes, Gentoo really needs a /boot partition, I
usually make mine about 300M use cfdisk. This has more to do with the kernel compile, and
where it writes the /boot/vmlinuz and the /boot/initramfs for the grub-install and the grub-mkconfig.
But if you are using Debian grub for booting then you will just run update-grub in Debian and it should fine the /boot/vmlinuz entry for Gentoo. I think we need to start a new topic or start using messages or maybe email.
That 32bit laptop is entriguiing!!!

The laptop is a pentium… too slow for compiling

I am having a change of thought. I have another smaller desktop. It is a core i5 4x with 8Gb ram and an ssd… I regard it as my place for experiments. I have Debian in it, plus 2 spare ext4 partitions for trying things. Would that be better. ? I can afford to make a mistake and crash that machine.

, Gentoo really needs a /boot partition,

OK I can make one with gparted. 300Mb is not much

Why are you using GPT, do you have any special need for GPT? 

I always use it… dont like extended partitions. My large desktop has 7 partitions on one disk and 12 on the other… easier with gpt.
The smaller desktop is also gpt … cuurently has efi, bios-grub, 3 ext4 partitions for linux, 1 ext4 data partition, and a swap

if you have to have a
bios_grub partition, then your PC bios is not uefi.

It is, but I choose not to use it, I set it back tp legacy… so I need the bios-grub partition

But if you are using Debian grub for booting then you
 will just run update-grub in Debian and it should fine
 the /boot/vmlinuz entry for Gentoo.

Yes that is what I would do

So what do you think about using the smaller desktop?ť

Lets round this off with a summary.

• Lumina desktop works… it functions as well as any other desktop
  • The inbuilt apps in Lumina are in need of attention, only the file manager and screensaver are fully functional
  • Lumina has a modern design and some good concepts like embedded widgets, but it needs development

Thanks to @4dandl4 for doing some trial installs of Lumina.
Thanks to all who had a read. I hope you found Lumina an interesting variation on the standard desktop.
Neville

1 Like

My pleasure!!! This is what Linux is about!!!

1 Like