Mageia problem with live mode

Hi and thanks for a wonderful forum. I have recently downloaded Mageia iso. Done the md5sum and all ok. The problem is that although the live version loads, very little else happens. The next option would be to install the system. I have no faith that the installation would work if the live option is definitely lacking. Has anyone else experienced the same hassle. Regards and best wishes, n

1 Like

It’d be helpful if you would elaborate on that much more in detail.

1 Like

Hi Akito, thanks for your help. I boot the iso image from the usb. I then choose live image which is at the top of the entries. The next entry is to install Mageia.the live image loads with Mageia desktop all nicely in blue. That is as far as it gets, there are no other icons or anything to activate the live mode. I have tried a number of times all with the same result. Mageia logo loads beautifully but then the pot with bubbles just bubbles away with nothing else happening. Once again many thanks.Best wishes,n.

1 Like

How do you write the image to USB?

1 Like

Hi, I used Multisystem. I use it all the time with very good results.

1 Like

To dump a Mageia installation ISO on a USB stick, you may try one of several tools:

• For Linux, IsoDumper, available inside repo. Or any tools based on dd. Unetbootin is not supported.

From Download Mageia 9

That means that you should use dd or Etcher on Linux or a tool like Rufus in DD mode or HDD Raw Copy Tool if you are using Windows to write the image. You need a dedicated USB stick for this operation.

1 Like

Thank you Akito. I will try Rufus and let you know. Your assistance is much appreciated.Regards and best wishes,n

2 Likes

Hi Akito, Rufus is not working. Did the dd, as per Mageia instructions. USB will not boot, getting an abort message, then—press any key to continue. I have checked USB and all info is present. Will try and try again. Thanks for your interest and assistance. Unfortunately i am still new at this game. I will take the liberty to let you know once I am successful. Best wishes,n

1 Like

Rufus has the option to check for bad blocks on a USB stick. Maybe you could try that, because what you say is very weird and shouldn’t happen, especially if you wrote the image in dd mode. The only reasons that are likely for this to happen is if

• you try to boot a UEFI medium on an incompatible system
  • you interrupted the image writing by e.g. cancelling it early
    * It can also cancel early if e.g. your USB slot is bad and/or your USB stick so it continuously connects and disconnects the drive, but that usually results in an error during the write process.
  • the image is broken (which you can do nothing about)
  • your USB stick is faulty (is a very common issue)

Does it say anything more specific than that?

It said “reloc offset is out of the segment”. I checked on Mageia community but search yielded nothing. I then decided to re do dd. This time with more success. Not that I did anything different from first time. I am happy to report success. I can now boot into USB and run Mageia in live mode. The only thing now is to decide whether to do a proper install or not. Thank you once again. If ever you find yourself in Karkloof, Kwazulu Natal , I would love to buy you lunch.Thanks, best wishes and cheers.

1 Like

You are from South Africa? Well, what a coincidence, I’ve been listening to this all day.

1 Like

Hi Akito, yes sunny South Africa. When you visit come and look me up. The Karkloof is like living on another planet. As cool as the video, but not as cool as the Subaru. Have fun and see you in SA.

2 Likes