"Marking TSC unstable" message at boot

Hi all, :wave:

Info:
I´m using Linux Lite 6.2 ( as some of you might now already).

Recently I noticed a red “failed” entry during the log-in messages which were running across the screen during boot.
It was too fast gone however to exactly determine what it was, so I took a look at the boot messages afterwards.

Booting the system and logging in worked just fine. No problems there.
When looking at the boot logs with the help of lnav I found this message however:

kernel: [ 0.141658] tsc: Marking TSC unstable due to check_tsc_sync_source failed.

This must have been the one I noticed. :thinking:

I didn´t have the knowledge to interpret it and to make any sense of it. As I said, there were no problems regarding boot. And there were no blems when running the system afterwards.

So I did a bit of research on the matter and found out the message is related to the Time Stamp Counter (TSC) during the Linux kernel’s boot process.

TSC seems to be a feature in modern processors that counts the number of clock cycles since the system started.
It´s often used for timestamping events and measuring time intervals.
The kernel performs a check during boot to ensure that the TSC is reliable and can be used as a stable timekeeping source.

The message apparently indicates that the check (check_tsc_sync_source) for the stability of the TSC failed, leading to the TSC being marked as unstable. :neutral_face:

Despite this message my system was booting fine, as I said earlier.

I then checked all the syslogs available, the oldest one being syslog.4.gz.

Like so: zcat /var/log/syslog.4.gz | grep -i 'tsc unstable

It turned out the same message was there every day during the past month. I couldn´t go back further into the past but I´m sure it had been this way before as well. It was just now (by coincidence) that I noticed it.

Can anyone tell me more about it? I mean: should I worry or just ignore the message :question:

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

The Bingbot says it looks like a hardware problem.

The error message you provided is related to the TSC (Time Stamp Counter) synchronization issue in the kernel (debian - Marking TSC unstable due to check_tsc_sync_source failed - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange). The error message indicates that the TSC is not a stable time source, and the kernel has marked it as unstable (linux - What does "clocksource tsc unstable" mean? - Super User). This error message is usually caused by hardware problems such as power supplies, fan failure, overheating due to dry thermal paste, and so on (debian - Marking TSC unstable due to check_tsc_sync_source failed - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange).

It is recommended to limit the maximum CPU speed or turbo mode in your BIOS if it allows that to see if it survives better (debian - Marking TSC unstable due to check_tsc_sync_source failed - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange). You could also try booting with another clock, e.g., clocksource=hpet if you think it will change things (debian - Marking TSC unstable due to check_tsc_sync_source failed - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange).

If the issue persists, you may need to change the CPU and motherboard (debian - Marking TSC unstable due to check_tsc_sync_source failed - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange). However, it is advisable to consult with your technical support department before making any hardware changes.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

After reading @pdecker 's really useful reply, I think you should ignore it
unless you start getting other errors.
Some of this checking that is done during boot is rather pedantic. Yes, something is not perfect, but the computer still
functions.

1 Like

Thanks @pdecker and @nevj for your replies, :heart:

@pdecker :

Thank you for providing new facts regarding TSC and at wealth of links.
I´ll have to read them through carefully.

@nevj :

Yes, Neville, I think ignoring the message might be the only thing I can do at the moment.
Mind you, I´ve been receiving this message for more than a month now, as I already mentioned.

I guess they must have been there a lot longer, but I can´t get further down in the past.
The thing is: I´d have to glance at the screen exactly when that red “failed” message pops up, but it´s gone in a jiffy, as the messages scroll down pretty fast.

Whether or not changing the clock source in /etc/default/grub would be advisable I don´t know yet.
I´ll have to read through all of @pdecker ´s links first.

Thanks to all of you.

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes