MDS CPU bug present and SMT on, data leak possible

Today I got two bugs while running the cmd dmesg -l emerg,alert,crit,err,warn

MDS CPU bug present and SMT on, data leak possible. See MDS - Microarchitectural Data Sampling — The Linux Kernel documentation for more details.

AND

ENERGY_PERF_BIAS: Set to ‘normal’, was ‘performance’ (Not a big issue, I guess)

Although there is no problem in running OS with kernel 5.10 LTS, but above link says “processor is vulnerable”.

Is there anything to worry about???

Care to share the logs with us?

To some extent, it seems like a majority of CPUs is “vulnerable”, however it hasn’t been a big mainstream threat, yet.

I’m pretty sure you should only worry about it, if you have secret government documents or perhaps secret formulas or documents for an extremely important company on your computer.
However, if that were the case you probably would be on a custom machine, that doesn’t have any known vulnerabilities, anyway.

So, if you are a normal user, which you probably are, you have nothing to worry about, as in, you don’t need to change anything about your computer just because of this vulnerability.

Just stick to the rules of how not to get malicious software onto your computer. Stay away from shady websites, never click any ads and, most importantly, turn on your brain when something shady happens. People too often believe the unbelievable because of wishful thinking syndrome…

1 Like

Thanks @Akito for your nice advice. I’m although a normal online user but precautionally I use Hblock in system and ublock origin in browser.

Hopefully, these tools can save a bit from such risks.

1 Like