Media players - back to the console : moc and mocp

Sayonara’s been jacking me off just lately… If I pause a song, then unpause, it just stops any output (could be issues with the transition from pulse to whatever that next bit of tech is (“PipeWire”?) - and I have to quit and re-open - dunno… But it’s damn flaky and had enough of it… A shame… Sayonara 1.4 was ROCK SOLID and nice small footprint, simplistic, but pretty functional and reliable… I’ll still keep it because it’s meta tag handing features are worth it just on that count…

And all too hard to try and get Sayonara1.4 to work in Ubuntu 22… Heck I loved that player so much I compiled it on a Pi4B with 64 bit Raspbian (but it hardly worked) - after having no luck compiling it for armhf (on the 4B) - to discover comments by the author, when people were trying to compile it for i386, won’t compile on 32 bit…

Anyway - I HATE Clementine (it’s just ugly) and I aint using VLC (I’ve stopped using it now in favour of MPV) - so I’m now going back to the terminal and using “moc” and “mocp”… Still need to figure out / tweak my .config files for it… but it does the job…

I also use MPV to watch TV streams coming from my Pi3 (via TVHeadend).

Just out of curiosity, Dan, I tried to find Sayonara while I was browsing the new MX distro (KDE). The MX Package Manager had Sayonara 1.7.0-stable3 in the collection tabbed Debian Backports. I agree that it’s an attractive, simple player. Accessing my music files on my external hard drive, I’m currently playing a tune, pausing and restarting it without problems. Would 1.7.0 solve your problem?

1 Like

I think it’s running as a SNAP (not even sure, how does one tell?)… Actually - no it’s not a snap :

╭─x@titan ~  
╰─➤  which -a sayonara
/usr/bin/sayonara
/bin/sayonara
╭─x@titan ~  
╰─➤  file /usr/bin/sayonara
/usr/bin/sayonara: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, BuildID[sha1]=2845b6baadad473e8097fd5de93e89b6b065c8b1, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, stripped
╭─x@titan ~  
╰─➤  file /bin/sayonara
/bin/sayonara: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, BuildID[sha1]=2845b6baadad473e8097fd5de93e89b6b065c8b1, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, stripped

Dunno why it shows up twice, usually I’d expect one of these to be a symlink to the other…

I’m running 1.7.0-stable3 (ever since I installed Ubuntu 22, 2+ months ago - hasn’t been update AFAIK)… I preferred 1.4, it was more “compact”, maybe less features, but I don’t use any of the new features anyway - I don’t stream audio, I don’t use a media database or server - ALL my music is organised into folders, per artist, then per album, by year (e.g. /mnt/BARGEARSE/MPZ/ACDC/1976-TNT-OZ-FLAC) … I strongly suspect my symptoms may be outside Sayonara’s control (e.g. Pulse or PipeWire)… But I’d prefer to run Sayonara 1.4… Loved the app so much, I chipped in some $$$ to their paypal… But it’s not going the way I want…

I seem to remember Winamp did this too, started off tiny and minimal, then went all BLOATED and tried to be all things, to all men…

So - I’m perfectly happy with moc / mocp… Might see if I can get it working on MacOS too…

I remember Winamp–and its llamas–but only vaguely and through a great deal of fog. But I have the lowest of standards. Any player works for me.

1 Like

CRAP!

There’s a bug in moc / mocp that’s been around since AT LEAST 2017 - when I boost global volume up to over 100% (I ALWAYS allow “Over-Amplification”! why wouldn’t one in the first place???).

Anyway - it kills moc and mocp! For at least FIVE years… the finger of blame is pointed at PulseAudio… But - why would the app crash?

Anyway - I found a remix of Slayer’s 1985 THRASH-METAL-GOLD “Hell Awaits” (removd the muddiness from the original) and THERE’S NO F–KING way I’m not cranking the dial as far as it can go - but it just crashed moc! Pezzo di merda! The remix only seems to be available on youtube, so I ripped it (yt-dlp, then split it into separate tracks with a cue file [and wrote a shell script to generate a CUE sheet]).

Some of the solutions suggested (FIVE YEARS AGO) re-compile from scratch… GTFOOH! a big FU to these “linux elitists”…