Meta-question: what software is powering this site?

So, I’m a member of a non-profit that is looking for alternatives to its Facebook group and its aged Listserv email discussion thing. What It’s Foss is using, it looks good. Anybody know what it is?

If you look at the source of the page you will see

meta name=“generator” content="Discourse 2.7.0.beta1 - https://github.com/discourse/discourse version

You can look it up at

1 Like

Damn, I didn’t think to look for informative meta tags. Thank you! I knew the look was familiar.

3 Likes

Yes, it is Discourse. There are a few more open source software if you wnat ti try:

Personally, we prefer Discourse. Flarum and Talkyard are also modern but new on the scene.

You can easily host Discourse on your own servers. Let me know if you need help with it.

Excellent, thank you! I am planning to propose it to the folks who run this non-profit (a US-based professional association of judiciary interpreters) and volunteer to set everything up. I will of course do my own homework but if I have any questions… actually I have one already. :slightly_smiling_face: Do run a Docker-based installation, or have you set up all the dependencies and services yourself? I am leaning towards Docker. They seem like they know what they’re doing so if that’s what they recommend…

Discourse uses a hybrid approach with Docker. If you want an easier way, you can opt for a cloud service like Linode or DigitalOcean. They have the option to deploy a new Ubuntu/Debian server with Discourse. Since it requires 2 GB RAM, the server would cost you $10 per month (extra $2 per month for automatic server backups).

I have written about deploying it using DigitalOcean here (a bit old though):

OMG! Can’t you be more helpful than this? :slight_smile:

Seriously, this is great. I am reaching for my wallet so I can donate.

2 Likes

Always happy to help :slight_smile:

1 Like