Mint 19.2 My thoughts taken from my personal blog

Linux Mint 19.2 “Tina” my review

On Friday, 2 August, 2019, after much anticipation Clem and the team released the stable version of Linux Mint 19.2, “Tina”. I don’t know how many downloads it had, it will have been a lot and I was one of them.

As usual I stuck with the Cinnamon Desktop Edition, because I love it and that is the only reason, oh and perhaps because it was developed by the Mint team for Mint.

I suppose you should really read the Release Notes, which can be found here:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3786 but to be honest I don’t as I just want to use it and am not that bothered about the techie stuff.

Download

I always use the World Wide location and the thing that I found with this version of Mint it downloaded quicker than previous versions seemed to do.

Install

The install is the same reliable non-frightening thing that it has always been with Mint, guided and simple to use and as always very quick. Again I found this quicker than previous versions of Mint.

Post Install and Setting up

The familiar Welcome Screen welcomes you, making setting up things a breeze. One change worth mentioning is that the printer icon is on the panel which makes it easier to directly print things. The other thing you can’t help but noticing is how everything is clearer than even it was on 19.1.

As I had done a clean install, I used the back up tool to restore my personal data and yet again I found this to be quicker than before.

After using TimeShift, to seal everything in place. I then did the Updates. Previously in Update Manager to not be asked if you want to use a local source you went to edit to do so. Now you don’t have to do all you do is say no to it on the blue banner.

As usual for me I headed to https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/first-mint-cinnamon.html to round things off. I know some may disagree with me, but this is the only site I trust to use to ensure you get the best possible experience with Mint. You don’t have to use everything on there, but it is a complete guide.

I did find that after doing everything the first restart seemed to hang, but after that the restarts worked well and again quicker than in previous versions.

Overall Verdict

I was disappointed that the Libre Office version installed was the previous version of it, but this easily sorted using Flatpack to install the newer version. Again Mint ships with Firefox as the web browser, which I hate and I hoped that Mint would offer an alternative pre-installed, but they’ve not done so. You can find other browsers in Software Manager, or just use Firefox to download them, or even like I do have the package on external drive and from when you last downloaded it and then install it (just remember to update it).

Improvements are clear all round in Tina, it looks and feels better and it is noticeably quicker. Without doubt all the hard work that Clem and the time have put into it has paid off. Every time there is a new release in Mint, we think it is the best yet, then another version comes along and we think the same again.

So is Tina the best? Well yes it is at the moment. Apart from minor things and I’ve probably said that about all versions of Mint, it is great. Would I recommend the update to everyone ? Yes I would without missing heart beat to do so.

Mint is and always has been stable, easy to use and none frightening to ex-windows users. Some knock it for that, but I think that is its strength for most people just want something they can use and don’t have to have a great knowledge about things. Really there is nothing more to say than that. Mint is great, Tina is great, so just sit back after doing everything to start off with, one off things, apart from updates and just get on an enjoy using it.

© copyright merimaat 2019

8 Likes

@ElectricDandySlider Very good review. I enjoyed reading it.
After D/L and installing Mint 19.2, I was disappointed to see “Level” missing from the Update Manager.

1 Like

Many thanks for the review.
I have an eMachines E732Z, 4GB RAM with 256Gb SSD. It is dual boot with Windows 10 and Mint XFCE 19.1

Two nights ago I took a chance, updated timeshift and did an upgrade to 19.2 via wifi. I was amazed how quick it was to download and install - all done without a problem of any kind. Mint runs in less than half of the RAM of Windows and 10/12% of the CPU. Everything works just fine without tweaking - I have to point out I use an external wifi dongle as the internal wifi died some years ago.
I am still reviewing the system (very busy at present) but to date I am delighted.

2 Likes

Made the switch back to Mint with 19.2. Very impressed thus far. Efficient on ram and resources, snappy and looks better than ever. The Mint team has done a great job with this one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind replies to my post every one - I have been off line while moving home so I am just catching up with things now

1 Like

Updated my desktop from Mint 19.1 to Mint 19.2 by way of the Update Manager today. The update to 19.2 went very smoothly. Mint 19.2 seems to even boot faster.

3 Likes

Mint is historically one of the more dependable flavors. I have found, since these comments, that 19.3 seems to be just as smooth and solid as its predecessors.

2 Likes

Thanks for review, yet I am still confused; yes – I understand brand loyalty, even liking minty flavour, but have noticed that on it’sFOSS there are no end of posts concerned with minty problems. @wgberninghausen :confused: There again there are plenty of posts about ubuntu – guess I have just been lucky so far with ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Trisquel? Think when I do get to try a minty flavour I shall follow your lead – thanks again.

2 Likes

@Andy2,if you looking for a system without bugs / problems … well Good Luck! And the heavier the user you are, the more likely you will find some bugs. As far as stable (not completely bug free) goes you can do a search on the internet like I did. Here are 2 statements I found.
------- Dated December 2017 ----- Dated but LTS releases follow the same path.
“Ubuntu long-term support (LTS) releases, when they’ve been out as long as they’ve all presently been out (1 year and 8 months for 16.04, 5 years and 8 months for 14.04). Their derivatives too like Linux Mint. Their packages have been used by millions of people for over a year now, so any bugs should have been reported and fixed by now.”
------ Same report, but about Debian. ------
“Debian (stable) — its packages start off in the unstable branch, then after adequate testing they transition into the ‘testing’ branch (which is used as the basis for packages in Ubuntu’s repositories), then from there they eventually transition into the stable repositories. This process of evaluation takes months or even years.”

1 Like

Hey @easyt50 thanks for that. So OS’s are just like other software regarding stability, bugs and other issues. When SolidWorks CAD released their annual upgrade; experience since 1998 had taught me to hang back and wait a month or two, despite all the reminders, before upgrading. Guess being lucky so far with ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Trisquel was nothing of the sort - just happened to jump in at the right time - phew - that was lucky! :wink:
Perhaps that is why I have not upgraded ubuntu 16.04 LTS - despite the regular reminders? :thinking:

1 Like

At Last I got there thanks again to Linux Format magazine DVD distros. :+1:

Now I can understand why there are so many Minty supporters - presume 19.2 was near as good as 19.3? Found Mint Cinnamon to be very polished and slick and could easily live with it after tweaking FireFox or just ignoring it and using live Tails 4.3 and Tor. ps - faded DVD in picture is from Linux Magazine having MX-Linux on one side with ZorinOS on the flip side.

1 Like

@Andy2 I been running Linux Mint for over a year now. I believe I started with Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon and now have Linux Mint 19.3 installed. Overall, only a few bugs. So yes, I am a big fan of Linux Mint running it on my laptop and on my desktop (dual boot) with WIndows 10.

1 Like