Mint menu disapearing

I have a client who is using linux mint mate 64 bit version 19.1 she has been on linux for over 5 years so no problems on general i just keep upgrading her as needs be when hard disk died etc.
My problem is for some reason she looses the menu button and bottom task bar on a regular basis so i have to drop round and reset it using terminal and sudo
gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.panel

I have tried other fixes similar

She blames the cat during the night playing with the mouse !

I think it a keystroke of her

I want to write a icon, or menu button command that i can just click to reset but not sure how to create this

Think i need

Sudo gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.panel

But as that needs a password which i know to do but dont know where on command line to put it

Or

I need an option to lock menu and panel that needs a password to allow changes thus preventing her from doing it

She dose not have access to terminal as removed that from her list

Its like locking changes to the desktop …

Thanks

1 Like

Hi I did a bit of research before attempting to reply. I can’t find anything specific to 19.1 on this. You’ve already locked the panel if I am correct in reading your post and it still keeps happening. All I was able to find was this; https://github.com/linuxmint/mintmenu/issues/145 I don’t know if it will help at all, as there doesn’t seem to be much about this issue anywhere. None that is specific to 19.1 anyway.

1 Like

It might need a new, yet simple approach.

Place the bottom panel at the top of the screen and use Plank or Cairo at the bottom.

Find out all her preferred app usage and place them all in the dock. Cairo may be the better option as it does include the menu facility, clock, waste bin, and other bling tools.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes