Multiboot update issues

I have a multiboot computer with more than one linux installed .
Only one Linux (I chose Debian) can control the grub configuration.

When I upgrade Debian, if the upgrade involves a kernel upgrade, it correctly decides that I need to redo the grub configuration, so it runs update-grub as part of the upgrade process. That is all fine, it ensures that when I reboot, grub is setup to use the new kernel.

but

When I upgrade any of the other Linuxes, the same thing occurs if it involves a kernel upgradeā€¦ ie it runs update-grubā€¦ , but it does it in the Linux being upgradedā€¦ which is of no use at all because the grub configuration is not there.
So when I reboot, it loads the old kernel with the upgraded apps. There can be compatability issuesā€¦ especially with Virtualbox and Qemu.

The solution is simple . I must run update-grub in Debian, after upgrading any other Linuxā€¦ then grub gets all the new kernels correctly.

So why mention it hereā€¦ if there is a solution. ?
Because it can lead to some very confusing issues.
It becomes more of an issue with rolling release distros where kernal upgrades are more frequent.
If you multiboot, be aware of it.

4 Likes

Another Multiboot problem I ran into. I use Linux Mint as my main go to Linux.
I wanted to test out Manjaro and added it to my laptop.

I found out that Manjaro grub and Mint were not compatible.Mint would not boot.
I never found a solution of running Mint and Manjaro together in multiboot.

1 Like

Hi Howard,
That is strange?
Did you do it this way

1. Add Manjaro, but tell it not to install a bootloader
  2. Boot Mint and do update-grub
    So you end up with Mint still controlling the grub configuration.

That always works for me, except with distros like Clear Linux or BSD that want to take over the whole disk

Regards
Neville

1 Like

Thanks @nevj,
That was my mistake. And I did not think of doing that.
Too late to try your solution right now, I already replaced Manjaro with Zorin.
If I revisit Manjaro, I will give try out you suggestion.

2 Likes

Manjaro is a mess!!! Arch is way better!!!
Finally pulled my Gentoo drive from my W10 PC and the only Linux I have running on this PC is a Linux Mint VM.
Am busy now rebuilding my wifeā€™s PC with W11, this will be a complete rebuild with mobo, cpu, ram and M.2 drive.

Thanks,.
Was going to try Manjaro. Will do Gentoo ar Arch . Maybe over Christmas.

I would suggest Arch, unless you want bragging rights of, using Gentoo, nothing really to brag about. Arch has a lot more packages to offer, especially with AUR.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œ4dandl4, post:5, topic:9909ā€]
Arch is way better!

Manjaro is based on Arch. ā€“ ā€œManjaro is a free and open-source Linux distribution based on the Arch Linux operating system that has a focus on user-friendliness and accessibility. It uses a rolling release update model and Pacman as its package managerā€

@easyt50

Arch add bloatware thatā€™s Manjaro

EndeavorOS is closer to the bone

Regards
artytux

Two things

• distro choice is a very personal tning
  • a lot depends on the skil and dedication of the people making the distro
1 Like

Arch is meant to be (like Gentoo) an almost empty framework that you pour things into.
Some people dont like doing it that way. They prefer to have everything on a plate and just ignors the bits they dont need.
There is room for both approaches

1 Like

Thatā€™s the beauty of Linux massive amount of choices for every person and every computing need.

Regards
artytux

2 Likes

No that is the Achilles Heel of Linux.

1 Like

Well something enjoyable can also be a weakness

1 Like

I used to with Manjaro and Mint, but on two separate drives. Manjaro will always take the helm unfortunately, so usually if you have Mint already installed, Manjaro usually sees the other OS on the install, or it did with mine. Manjaro KDE is my daily OS and Windows on a separate drive for triple A gaming, as Steam Proton as good as it is, still isnā€™t there yet. Manjaro is the lead boot on this machine. Just had to configure the clock in Windows, so it keeps the right time. These are on separate drives though. Icy Dock for Desktops canā€™t go wrong with. Going to be installing Manjaro KDE on my ASUS Laptop tomorrow.

That completely rules it out for me. It joins the same category as Clear Linux and BSD.
If it wants to own the machine, like windows, then it is a very poor ā€˜coorporate citizenā€™ in a multiboot setup.

Ah but only if I donā€™t take Windows out. If I take Windows out of this machine, then pop it back in reboot from Manjaro, then Windows takes over UEFI EFI MFI (Furniture shop of the 70ā€™s, 80ā€™s and very early 90ā€™s.) Then all I have to do is change the boot yet again in Bios. I prefer Manjaro booting first.

1 Like

That is how Arch boots on this PC. I just use ā€œGRUB_DEFAULT=savedā€ and ā€œGRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=trueā€ and this will boot the last OS booted first or change the ā€œGRUB_DEFAULT=0ā€ to a # in the boot menu, counting from " 0 ". One also needs to disable os-prober on any other distro. Any Arch based distro grub will boot first, over any Debian based distro, but a Gentoo grub entry can be found by Debian based distros and that is the convoluted world of Linux.

3 Likes

Once I get another NVIDIA 3060 Card, then Windows will go back into itā€™s twin sister PC, that I built back in 2021, along with this one Iā€™m writing this on. I am not going to upgrade to Windows 11 as it looks and feels weird.
Hoping that I can out last till 2026 at least, with Windows 10? Just donā€™t want to have to upgrade, as had to do a reinstall of Windows last week, because of that H2022 update bug. Reinstalled Windows, installed the update no problem. Luckily I donā€™t use Windows as my everyday OS.

2 Likes

My main machine was built around W7 and updated to W10, still running W7. I have no plans to update to W11 on that machine, unless I have a motherboard failure.
My wifeā€™s machine will be rebuilt to run W11, no Linux on that machine. Was considering a laptop, but neither one of us really like laptops.

1 Like