MX Linux OS - Elegant & Efficient

MX Linux is a cooperative venture between the antiX and former MEPIS communities, using the best tools and talents from each distro. It is a midweight and semi-rolling OS designed to combine an elegant and efficient desktop with simple configuration, high stability, solid performance and medium-sized footprint.

Not many users have heard about the MX distro so I wanted to start a thread and share some of my experience and informal testing.

My test machine: Acer Aspire 5516
1.6 GHz AMD 64 CPU and 4GB ddr2 with a 120GB Crucial SSD.

If you have questions or are also testing MX linux feel free to ask and share.

4 Likes

Hello.
As part of our GNU/Linux community FreieSoftwareOG I’m “testing” new/niche Distros regularly.
And I present them on our regular meeting once in a while.

So I had a look at MX (and the mentioned antiX and Mepis) a while ago.

Really nice, kind of lightweight and nonetheless nice to the eyes, too.

Thanks for bringing it up.
Sometimes it’s good to leave the path of the “big” Distros to discover some neat little gems that deserve some attention.

4 Likes

Thank you both for starting this thread @mongst and your contribution @Fast.Edi. It is too easy to get stuck looking at the bigger Distros and not venture beyond them. So it is great when people bring their experience of using them to our attention. :+1::+1:

3 Likes

MX Linux is still my go-to light-weight distro for older hardware/systems. Really impressed with it’s performance, level of customisation and low resource usage. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree @Fast.Edi - even for a light distro its has a look and feel that surpasses IMHO the looks of more basic themed desktop distros, like DSL/Puppy - I enjoy using MX on a daily basis, and I sometimes forget I’m using an older machine.

@MikeREM - its mine now too! Before I found MX Linux I tried smaller distros, but liked the look and feel of modern desktops better. With MX Linux I don’t feel like I’m sacrificing form for function.

2 Likes