My Arch Linux Install

@nevj

I now have a waterfox icon launcher.

Persistence does not always win, but it sure helps.
I would like to hear what you think of Waterfox after you have used it for a while.
People go looking for degoogleified browsers. I think it meets that need.
The new owners (System 1) seem to be doing active development… their versions are upping regularly. It might be the browser to watch in the future.

Thanks, I wanted to see someone try it.
Neville

I really see no difference in using Waterfox than in using Firefox.

I am not one!!!
The way I got my icon was to cd to the directory in which Waterfox is installed did a ls and cd waterfox
drop the waterfox executable onto the panel, right clicked on and Mate created the icon.
I have your script, but have no idea how to put it in /usr/share/applications.

I had no idea you could do it that way. Learn something every day.
What you did probably automatically put a script in /usr/share/applicstions… Have a look

Doing it my way. You just cp the script file into /usr/share/applications. and call it waterfox.desktop.
Then Linux sees the new .desktop file there, and makes the icon. Not sure if reboot needed.

I cant see any difference from firefox either. It may not have all the same addons? Internally it uses a different engine.
When you first started waterfox, was the welcome page blank?
Mine was and every time I have done an install, it is always blank?

Regards
Neville

Not sure but I think it was?

1 Like

Yeah, I think I wasted a week trying to fix it. Its just not done yet.

Have no idea on what all this means, but htop is running on Arch.
Arch is running really well on this old machine, I am seriously thinking of replacing Gentoo with Arch on my other main machine.

Brave browser installed through the AUR repository. YEA!!!

1 Like

Installed Waterfox through the AUR repository, it now has the waterfox icon.
now have three browsers installed on Arch.

@4dandl4 ,
You are talking me out of Gentoo.
This AUR repository? Its not official Arch stuff, is it? Its some user group attached to Arch. I wonder how well they deal with clashing dependencies?

More like talking to myself!!! Gentoo works well, but can be a “PITA” to keep updated, and Gentoo really can not offer as many repositories, to chose software from.

By default, Arch has the AUR disabled, one can either use Vim or Nano and run and edit the “/etc/pacman.conf” to enable the AUR repository, or install “pacman -Syu yaourt”. I have not installed yaourt yet.
I use the “git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/waterfox-g-bin.git” and download the package and use the “makepkg -si” command to install. This has to be ran under the user account, it will not run under root.

1 Like

On my laptop, I dual boot Arch and Gentoo. I create small home partitions for each and a shared partition on which I locate all the folders typically found in /home such as “Music,” “Videos,” "Downloads,’ etc,

Then I create symbolic links from each distro’s /home directory to each of the folders in that partition. Each distro has its own space for dotfiles and I have access to my files from either distro.

3 Likes

Welcome @Kenneth_Dotson ,
I do something similar. I make a shared data directory and keep home directories small, but I only make a single symbolic link to the top of the data directory.
Making symbolic links to subdirectories is a good idea

Regards
Neville

@Umzugx8
6 steps will not install Arch?

Hi @Umzugx8 ,
You need to expand that list.
After step 6 you have to make disk partitions, mount filesystems, add a bootloader, and then sit back while it copies Linux to your root filesystem.

Ubuntu 20 / 22, Fedora 36, MacOS… Raspbian…

I do something “similar”… e.g. ~/Videos/Movies and ~/Videos/TVShows are symlinks to shares on my NAS (NFS and SMB), ~/Documents and ~/Pictures are symlinks to my self-hosted cloud storage… I’d be totally f–ked without symlinks, and I find it astounding when I find allegedly “modern” filesystems that don’t support symlinks - like EXFAT - what’s the use of you if you can’t support something as fundamentally ubiquitous and useful and been around since the 1970’s like symbolic links?

Try using Void without symlinks. The init system (runit) depends on symlinks to start a service

1 Like

Installed the Nvidia 390.154 driver for my GT620.

Nouveau driver had to be disabled.

Nvidia-smi panel.

I now have Nvidia settings in the Mate Control Center.

@4dandl4
Thise Arch screenshots are blurred. I cant read the text in the terminal window. Maybe its my tablet? Will hsve a look on PC later