Need a script from the Linux Pros

Greetings. I’ll go straight to the point…

I have been a kubuntu user for the last 6 years. I enjoy different icon themes but none of them fully satisfy me, particularly the mime-types icons. So, over these years I have gathered many mime-type icons, I put them together in a folder and usually register them one by one. Unfortunately, when I make a full upgrade or a fresh install, I face the tedious task of registering again each of the icons.

Is there a way to automate the task? I need some kind of script that reads all icons (png files) in a known folder (say xtra-icons) and registers each with the appropiate mime-type in the system…

Any sugestions?

I suggest you should make your own script. The only thing you need to know is how to register an icon with the corresponding mime-type over the command line. Everything else shouldn’t be an issue for you, especially since you are already very familiar with the CLI, considering you are a GNU/Linux user for 6 years now. Just loop the icon with mime-type association for every icon in the folder and let it finish, once every icon is associated. If you want it extremely easy, I would add a mv to the script, that moves all processed icons to a sub-folder. Once there are no icons left in the main folder, the script will end.

This is something you can script on your own, trust me.

Akito,

Thank you for your support. Unfortunately I have absolutely no experience making scripts. I don’t even know if there is a console command to register a mime-type icon, because I usually do it through the kde graphical interface… I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I don’t think I’m capable of doing it right now. Thats why I posted the question in this forum…