Need help with getting Tor Browser to work

I have installed Tor Browser (Firefox version) on my Mint 19.1 - Cinnamon, my problem is I cannot get it to work. I have compared the setup to my Windows version (that works fine) and it is set up the same way.

My problem is that I get the following error:
“Unable to find the proxy server…it config to use a proxy server that can’t be found”

My regular Firefox version works fine. Has anyone used the Tor Browser and had the same problem or know what I need to do?

Thanks ahead for any solutions or suggestions.

-dave

1 Like

Have you been to here? https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en#linux this is the best answer I could find.

An alternative one was from here, https://askubuntu.com/questions/881082/tor-installation-error-signature-verification-failed

The first of these is from Tor so probably the best. I couldn’t see much on other places as they were for previous versions of Mint not 19.1

1 Like

@_dave

Tor install guide

Tor manual

Latest install guide updated Oct 2018

Unless a member has first hand experience to guide you, it back to the drawing board and check your settings etc.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

How did you go about installing the Tor Browser? I have the same version of Mint, with the same desktop, and installed the Tor Browser following the instructions on the Tor website (rather than installing from the software manager). The only issue I had was that the launcher didn’t find its way into the menu - I suspect that this is because the installation is into my home directory rather than the standard location - but I’ve just created a shortcut to the launcher (start-tor-browser) on the desktop.

2 Likes

Ubuntu 15/16/17/18 :
I’ve never “installed” Tor… but I do use it - as a “portable app”…

I just download the tarball - and untar it in ~/sbin/

then CD to tor-browser_en-US… and run it “./start-tor-browser.desktop”…

Sometimes when I can be bothered - I’ll copy the start-tor-browser.desktop file to /usr/share/applications/. When I do get around to doing that, I can then run it from the dash or super-key - and once it’s running I can “keep in dock” to keep the “shortcut” on my plank dock…

2 Likes

Thanks you guy’s for all your help and suggestions, I really appreciate the “support”. I finally got it to work by (re-doing a couple of times) the suggestion that Winston give (thumbs up to you).

It took me a couple of times being new to the Linux world, but I’m slowly getting to it.

3 Likes

Thanks for letting us know and for marking it solved and naming the person who helped you. All of these things help our community.

2 Likes

I’m pleased to have been able to help.

There are a few experts on the forum (and their efforts and patience are appreciated), but most of us are simply enthusiasts. It’s a good mix, and generally a friendly place to be. Enjoy your stay!

3 Likes

Tor don’t needs to instalation.
Unzip or Untar for any folder.
In File Manager go folder Tor.
double click in start Tor, click connect and fun Dark Net :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just joined the FSF and received my first monthly newsletter.

I was intrigued by the TOR browser and came here at https://itsfoss.community

Since I do not see Tor in mintinstall 8.0.5 ; I believe that Tor is never offered in the software manager of any MINT or UBUNTU versions.

So I’ll try to install it by following the instructions on the Tor website.

Please wish me good luck. :smiley:

1 Like

I first tried : apt install tor
but there was an error in the display so
I typed : tor and was told I was not using tor the correct manner.

I typed : apt remove tor
then : sudo apt autoremove.
I came back to
this post and redirect firefox to

I dowsnloaded the tor-browser-linux64-10.0.10_fr.tar.xz file
I extracted the fiiles
I clicked on the Tor Browser Setup
I choose connect
and Voilà : I am using it to make this post and I find it is slower connecting to websites.

It seems that I did not have to configure it.

1 Like

Here’s how I “install” it - i.e. it’s not an “install” it’s all manual stuff hosting the binaries in a folder on my home directory on my Linux machine.

Download the x86_64 binary from here :
https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/10.0.10/tor-browser-linux64-10.0.10_en-US.tar.xz

I run it from ~/sbin…

e.g.
If there isn’t an sbin folder in my $HOME, then make it so (if you know you don’t have a ~/sbin just make it) :

[ ! -d ~/sbin ] && mkdir ~/sbin
cd ~/sbin
tar tvf ~/Downloads/tor-browser-linux64-10.0.10_en-US.tar.xz

Note - I ALWAYS list (tar tvf) the contents of tar archives before extracting them - been caught out before extracting thousands of files into “/” :smiley:
Extract that sucker :

tar xvf ~/Downloads/tor-browser-linux64-10.0.10_en-US.tar.xz
cd tor-browser_en-US

Edit the file “start-tor-browser.desktop” with your text editor of choice and set the “Exec=” to the correct path where you intend running it from (e.g. in my case ~/sbin/tor-browser-US) :

Exec=sh -c ‘“/home/x/sbin/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/start-tor-browser” --detach || ([ ! -x “/home/x/sbin/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/start-tor-browser” ] && “$(dirname “$*”)”/Browser/start-tor-browser --detach)’ dummy %k

And “Icon=”

Icon=/home/x/sbin/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/browser/chrome/icons/default/default128.png

(where user account - in my case = “x”)

cp start-tor-browser.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/.

And now you should have a “Tor Browser” application in your listed applications (this is Ubuntu 20.04 with Gnome). If that doesn’t work (e.g. not Ubuntu) - then maybe something like :

sudo cp start-tor-browser.desktop /usr/share/applications/.

But you could also just run it from there e.g. :

cd ~/sbin/NEW-tor-browser_en-US/Browser
./start-tor-browser

Note - I hardly ever install it from “scratch” like this - if I’m building a new desktop environment - I just grab the folder from another computer e.g.

cd ~/sbin
rsync -av -e ssh user@computer:~/sbin/tor-browser-US .
2 Likes

Because you’re effectively using an “ersatz” VPN… each time you fire up tor browser - your “presence” could change, e.g. first time might put you in Finland, disconnect and exit tor browser, fire it up again and you’re suddenly in Mexico, or Uzbekistan…

2 Likes

True. And https://services.korben.info/ip told me so.
Thank you.