Need help with permissions for file recovery

Hello

I’m currently in a live environment (Fedora 35, KDE Plasma) and trying to back up some files on a USB, but I can’t delete from or format said USB. I don’t really understand permissions and would really appreciate some help.

[liveuser@localhost-live Kingstonusb]$ ls -l
total 104
-rw-rw-r–. 1 unbound unbound 20767 Mar 1 13:16 ‘Cloud.png’
drwxrwxrwx. 6 unbound unbound 36864 Apr 30 19:43 Downloads
drwx------. 2 root root 16384 Feb 28 14:22 lost+found
drwxrwxr-x. 4 unbound unbound 4096 Mar 1 17:37 Photos
drwxrwxr-x. 2 unbound unbound 4096 Mar 1 18:42 ‘Game saves’
drwxrwxr-x. 7 unbound unbound 4096 Mar 1 14:48 New
drwxrwxr-x. 5 unbound unbound 4096 Feb 26 19:41 files
-rw-rw-r–. 1 unbound unbound 4300 Mar 1 16:11 ‘Unsaved Document 1’

Greetings. :wave:

Are you trying to delete anything from the live environment?

I’m not trying to delete anything from the bootable linux USB, if that’s what you’re asking. I’m trying to delete files from a different USB.

I see.

Could you try something along these lines?

Thank you for the suggestions but it’s not quite what I was looking for. It’s on me for not explaining my problem clearly enough though.

After a bit more research It turned out the problem wasn’t really to do with permissions but with ownership. I used sudo chown user:group -R <folder> so sudo chown liveuser:liveuser -R Kingstonusb in this case (-R so that the command applies to sub-folders as well).

I expected having to change it again from liveuser to alexel after reinstalling, but no, it changed automatically I guess (This is still a bit foreign to me).

Thanx again for taking the time to reply and sorry for taking so long to post back.

1 Like