New terminal needed so that I can copy paste easily

I`m running deb 10.4 / Does anyone knof of a better terminal i can install, one that will allow copy / paste ?

What exactly do you try to do where? Which OS, which DE, why, how…

1 Like

Most of the terminals support copy paste. You just need to figure out the keys to use.

On GNOME (and many other terminals), you can use ctrl+shift+C/V for copy-paste.

2 Likes

Im using Cinnamon deb 10.4 but the terminal wont copy / paste from the mouse. Any manual copy / paste you know of ?

I think Cinnamon also uses GNOME terminal.

If you right click, there should be option to paste as usual. Otherwise Ctrl+Shift+C/V keys can always help you.

2 Likes

I run Debian 10.4 Cinnamon too, and have been unable to copy and paste from or into the terminal since I installed it a few weeks ago, I have been meaning to make a post here, but have been very busy and now I see this thread.

I have been using Debian Cinnamon for years and have never had this problem before. And I currently have LMDE 4 Cinnamon on dual boot systems with Debian 10.4 and on LMDE the terminal works the way I am used to using it.

The default terminal in Debian 10.4 is now called Multilingual Terminal, and I don’t like it. I would love to get rid of it and get rid of the colored text that seems to be random and uncontrollable and gives me headaches.

It’s very tiresome to have colored text on a terminal for a color impaired guy like me. Does anyone have any suggestions about getting rid of colored text and hopefully being able to copy and paste into text documents? Thanks

I just tried but it wont work.

Same problem but so far no luck but will post if i find one…The terminal on mint was ok and mint is based on Debian i think so could it be used if it could be found and installed…I`m running deb 10.4 also but i have 2 terminals one is XTerm this is what i use and is default for my deb install.

i am also fairly certain that mint with the cinnamon desktop environment uses gnome-terminal. you should be able to check to see if it is installed with apt list gnome-terminal and install it with apt install gnome-terminal if you want to give it a try. debian 10 gnome-terminal package details: Debian -- Details of package gnome-terminal in buster

Yeah, I think they just changed the default terminal while I wasn’t using Debian much if at all, and it’s just a matter of getting not busy long enough to put a little time into this problem. Good luck to everyone and thanks for all the useful info.

OK, I fixed my problem with the Debian Terminal. It works just fine now, copy and paste, no more colored text, just fine.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal

And then it was fixed. Like a miracle.

See now it works perfectly and I fixed the multilingual terminal too:

gs@old-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get purge mlterm
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
mlterm-tiny
Suggested packages:
mlterm-tools xfonts-efont-unicode fonts-arphic-bsmi00lp fonts-arphic-gbsn00lp mlterm-im-uim
The following packages will be REMOVED:
mlterm* mlterm-tools*
The following NEW packages will be installed:
mlterm-tiny
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 214 kB of archives.
After this operation, 224 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Now I think I need to find out what mlterm-tiny is for since it’s now installed on my old laptop.

1 Like

i would offer a word of caution that completely removing a core system component (like a terminal or file manager) can have unintended consequences. of course it is your system to do with as you please, but sometimes removing such things can break certain desktop environment functions :slight_smile:

Never had any sort of problem like that, even when I purged thunderbird, and besides I have another OS as backup on that computer that can access all the files on all the partitions. And my second computer is set up the same way.

I don’t worry too much about what might break. If there is something on one or more of my computers that I never use, I get rid of it. If it’s something I’ve tried and know I won’t ever use again, like this mlterm, then I get rid of it even faster. And I have never had a single problem from doing that. And I’ve been doing it since I started using Linux about 12 years ago.

And another thing I routinely do is change operating systems without backing up the files in /home. And I have never lost a single file. I should say though, that everything important, particularly my fiction projects, is synced between megasync and all 4 of my operating systems, so that’s backed up enough for me. Especially since I have never had any system breakage problems at all.

So where do i get this megasync at ?

https://mega.nz/sync

4 Likes

That’s right, you can sign up at https://mega.nz/register

I’ve just had a free membership for about 6 years now and I think Mega is great, but make sure you don’t lose your password.

Everything is encrypted and they DO NOT have access to users’ passwords. So do whatever you have to do to make sure you never need a password reset, because you will never get one.

4 Likes

I approve this message. MEGA is the best free cloud provider I have ever seen in my life. :+1:

2 Likes

Well, if one needs tech support, free users will have to wait a bit if Mega tech support is busy. This has happened to me only once during my 6 years with Mega, and the wait was only a few hours.

I tried Spider Oak because it was recommended by Edward Snowden, but it did not compare well with Megasync in several areas, so I stuck with Megasync and dropped Spider Oak.

Now some competition appears to be developing. Protonmail is not free, but I subscribe to their email and now Protonmail is working on an encrypted cloud drive. I haven’t tried it yet. I think it’s still in Beta, but I will try it eventually. If I can get a reasonable price for a package of email, torrent capable VPN, and an encrypted cloud drive too, I will probably go with that option eventually.