Newbie programmer

Hi, I’m Boston, 33yo, Brisbane, Australia.

I have a Bachelor of Maths, so I’m trained in data structures and algorithms, etc.
I don’t know much about software engineering.
Im looking to join a foss programming project so I can work in return for tutelage.

Is there anyone interested in taking me in on their project?
Kind regards,
Boston.

2 Likes

Hi @Boston_Brooks ,
I am from Australia too… south coast of NSW.
You need to say what languages you can handle.

I did notice that the Lumina desktop project is looking for programmers

May not be your thing.
Regards
Neville

3 Likes

Right Neville:
At uni, I used a lot of MatLab. In my spare time, I use a lot of C, working with linked lists and vtables.
I have some experience with other languages.
I’d even enjoy coding up documents in LaTeX.

Kind regards,
Boston.

Look for projects which scratch an itch and then help them out.

Why is this “scratching an itch” so important? It means you’re passionate about the project.

There are loads of projects looking for help. This web page lists projects looking for help.

I suggest, if you don’t have much programming experience, you start off with go or python based projects.

Also, study the language first. Buy a book which gives you assignments for the language you’re interested in. O’Reilly has good books regarding coding, which are not too expensive.

This page explains some git (a revision control system). You will need this application. There are various plugins for text editors and IDE’s (Integrated Development Environment) and applications (both paid and free) available to help you with this.

2 Likes

You are similar to me… I use R and C and Latex.
With that background , you would fit into a scientific computing environment.
Have you considered trying to get into a research lab?

Take the advice from @xahodo … It is good advice.

You have to equip yourself to a certain extent , on your own, before trying to work in a team.

2 Likes

Oh this is a really interesting project! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

@Boston_Brooks Heya! I’m new to C++ programming as well! (although I have other programming experience). Happy to connect so we can learn together or something.

I’m hailing from India!

3 Likes

@Boston_Brooks @HotTipoff4425 Another idea for searching for projects is to look at the larger groups that make FOSS. For example, KDE and GNOME are both quite large, and while they are most known for their desktop environments, they also make a lot of other software. I am personally more partial to KDE, but either one of them will have both large and small projects that you can help on.

3 Likes