No nemo-share extension for hirsute hippo!

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: At least I can’t find it after searching relentlessly :rofl: for hours yesterday, today, and likely tomorrow…
Help me out here! :scream:

We’ll need more info. Nemo is the file manager in Cinnamon. Why are you using it in Ubuntu 21.04?

I left Nautilus for Nemo while still running 16.04: so much nicer to use, for many reasons. I had no problems obtaining the extensions on prior releases. I have avahi running on all 3 of my systems due to its being so simple and fast to set up, but for some reason this hh release has nothing in the repositories in the way of nemo extensions for sharing. On 21.04 I was able to use the focal extensions, but not with 21.10.
Now, my main desktop (LinuxMint) can see all of the hirsute hippo system, but not the other way around. The main desktop can show the named hh smb under the network, but that’s all. Can’t logon: "no such file or folder) No sharing options are available on the context menu with samba installed. Perhaps this will change for the better at the point release.

This sounds to me much like misconfigured Samba.

All that avahi needs is this file in its /etc/avahi/services folder: samba.service

<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?>
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
   <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h SMB</name> ## Display Name
   <service>
       <type>_smb._tcp</type>
       <port>445</port>
   </service>
</service-group>

And this in the smb.conf:

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
  workgroup = WORKGROUP
# name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
  server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)

All the machines must use the same workgroup.
You just install Samba, start the daemon, and you’re done.

1 Like

Just folded…Installing Linux Mint on the system in question.