Numerical keypad only works as mouse director

Novice user of Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon. PC with USB Keyboard.
Problem……After fresh boot, my Numerical keypad only works as mouse director.
This is with Num lock on or off.
The only way to correct this, is to open the Menu/Accessibility/Mouse Tab, where I turn on “Control the pointer using the keypad” and then turn it off again.
Numlock then function correctly.
I found this solution after many hours of fiddling.
This started after our new puppy walked across the keyboard.
Help would be appreciated.

Maybe get the puppy to walk back the other way?

Sorry mate - couldn’t resist…

3 Likes

My advice was to check the numlock key but you’d already done that. Ooops.

Wild shot in the dark, have you thoroughly checked the keyboard for a stuck key?
Try swapping the keyboard. They’re dirt cheap these days. I’ve got a closet full along with enough mice to pull a fully loaded freight train.

1 Like

On one of my computers the boot-up default for numlock on/off was set in the BIOS.

1 Like

You should definitely do that before fiddling too much with the system’s configuration.

Thanks. Yes tried that with 2 other boards. The fault I’m convinced is in the accessibility setting.

Then, at least, the puppy is not to blame.

Then turn ALL the options OFF.

No options are on.
My original post "The only way to correct this, is to open the Menu/Accessibility/Mouse Tab, where I turn on “Control the pointer using the keypad” and then turn it off again.
Thanks for your input though.

1. All was well and normal.
  2. Your puppy waltzed across your keyboard while it was on.
  3. Number pad only works as cursor arrow until you cycle the “Control the pointer using keypad”.

Perhaps your puppies Virginia Slide across the keyboard did a little “ctrl shift numlock” on your keyboard. Try checking your keyboard layout settings.
Or try System Settings, Keyboard Layout Options, Layout of numeric keypad to see what’s out of sorts.

Hi 7blade. Loving your efforts thanks. Yes tried that too…no joy. Keep them coming.

What, if any, errors are showing up in your log files?

Have you tried a system restore to a point before “Fred Astaire” did his now world famous fancy footwork?

Log files are not something I am familiar with. Guidance would be welcome.
I do not really want to do a restore if I can help it as I have just completed a large font re-construction and do not want to undo it. I also am a bookkeeper for several small businesses. I do Backup but…

Take a look at Menu->Administration->Logs and browse a while. You can search each section for any hints.