Nvidia driver issue

Hi Fatima,
That is a powerful modern machine … the cpu is dated 2018
Something does not add up here
Why would it have what Laszlo says is a very old graphics card?
Laszlo is usually right , so

Is that graphics card info correct?
or
Is it really an old card?

I can see you are puzzled too, so lets ask @kovacslt to please double check.

If it really is a very old card, you could consider replacing it, because the rest of your machine is modern .

Regards
Neville

PS
I looked up GF119 GPU
It says released in January 2011

The card (nvs315) was released in 2013

So it looks like Laszlo was right

3 Likes

Thats not true in general.
It works great until supported.
I had a GTX1060 for years, now I have a GTX1070, these are both quite obsolete, so cheap to buy cards, they still perform well for my usage. I would not change them to any AMD .card. I had Radeon cards before, and installing -especialky updating- the pro drivers was a nightmare on Linux.
My own experience with nvidi is way much smoother with Debian than it was with R9 380 which I had before the GTX.

oooh I’ll get a new one, Thank you for your help :smile:
Recentlly I can’t run anything correctly, could this happen because of using an old card?

Of course I don’t have a complete cards database right under (residues) of my hair, so I looked it up:

That was my very first action having read the card’s type.

I guess you found the same. :wink:

Thanks @nevj , that feels good, thanks!
But I’m far away from that one could call “inerrant”, so a second look, a control is always welcome.

That’s not sure, I think using the nouveau drivers you should be able to run anything fine, which is not demanding for videocards performance.
So if something “does not run correctly” some more techical details would be needed to judge…
I think you should be fine with a more recent videocard be it nvidia or AMD.
But in a computer anything can fail anytime, so a dying HDD, ageing capacitors in the PSU, failing RAM modules can produce hard-to-identify errors.
And that’s the hardware part, software can fail too, maybe because a recdent update that breaks something… (Well, that virtually never happens on Debian, extremely rare on Ubuntu and derivatives)

So more technical details please regarding “doesn’t run correctly”! :wink:

Anyway, that old nvidia card in your wonderful marvellous fabulous AMD system is kind of an alien. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The technical details, this is the situation and I’m asking if there is a problem or I can skip this
1- Mesa is used as OpenGL now.
2- [ 0.471036] ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 140
[ 0.471048] pcieport 0000:60:07.1: PCI INT A: failed to register GSI
[ 0.471111] ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 128
[ 0.471115] pcieport 0000:60:08.1: PCI INT A: failed to register GSI

You took the words right out of my mouth!!! I wish I had that machine to run Gentoo!!!

1 Like

I think you can skip it, providing it boots properly, of course

That message does not seem to be related to graphics card issues.

GSI stands for global system interrupts
APIC stands for Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller

so the messages are about hardware interrupts.

If you want to try something, you could add noapic to the kernel boot parameters.

Getting back to the original nvidia drivers issue. … I think what Laszlo indicated… use the nouveau drivers… is your best option , provided you are happy with the
graphics performance.

If not, I think consider replacing the graphics card… but be careful what you choose… dont overload the power supply, make sure the card will physically fit, and if you are not
confident with touching hardware, get a computer shop to do it.
I would personally choose an AMD card, but that is your choice.

3 Likes

Yes, a threadripper would be ideal. Might be my next choice.
Imagine optimising a compile for that cpu.

3 Likes

@nevj
Overnight I did a Gentoo hard-install on my Dell XPS laptop, just put the finishing touches, a little while ago!!! Using binary packages, I can now do a Gentoo install, in less than a day. I used NetworkManager for wifi, instead of the wpa_supplicant I also used the Mate DE, seems to work well. The Gentoo hard-install was really easier than the VirtualBox VM.

Why so long? Debian et al take less than an hour?

Debian is not Gentoo!!!

But they both use binaries now. Why does Gentoo take longer?
I said previously, they need to streamline their install, they are losing out with impatient users.
Isnt there a live Gentoo DVD? Why not use that and be like other distros.? That would get someone started in half an hour, and it would be all binaries.

Gentoo has a lot of binary packages but some are still compiled from source. For example, mate-base/mate had 153 packages to emerge, 90% were binary packages, instead of taking 2 to 3hrs to emerge, it took less than an hour. gcc and llvm are now binary!!! Gentoo is looking more like Redcore, but offers more choice of DE. A few years ago Gentoo was a labor of love, with a reputation of being hard to install, in my opinion, if one can read, then one can install Gentoo.
I quite frankly like the binary package approach, as long as the packages are kept updated.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your valuable comments and assistance.
I’ll follow your suggestions and see how it goes.

4 Likes