Open MDB files in Linux

Hi All, I guess this topic pops up quite often although I can’t find any reference to MDB files in FAQ or in search.
I have accdb and mdb files from my old PC and need to get the info from them into Libre Office format if possible.
Any help would be truly appreciated.
Bruno

1 Like

I think these are Microsoft access files, not sure if there is a converter online.

I don’t know if this is, is of any help to you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmEzxovL-bU
I know you can open them in Libre Office base, but I am not entirely sure how to do so and that was the best I could come up with.

Thank you for the link, problem is I don’t get the option to open an access database on the connect to existing database drop-down.

Hope there is some sort of work-around.
Bruan

1 Like

I would imagine that LibreOffice Base can read these, but if it cannot, simply dump the tables in an easily transferred form, move and reload them. I was an Access user many years ago, but have little experience with Base. Cheers!

1 Like

Sorry, first screenshot was not clear
Bruno

2 Likes

Which version of Libre Office are you using Bruno? If you go to Flatpack in Software Manager, you can download and install Version: 6.2.2.2 as I have done. I am wondering if that might help. Perhaps @abhishek might know more on this?

1 Like

Using 6.2.2.2, when I go to extensions and look to install access2base it says LibreOffice 6.2 embeds Access2Base 6.2.0. The latter Access2Base version is not available as an extension anymore and never will.
Guess I will have to look further for a way out.
Thanks
Bruno

2 Likes

Let us know how you get on please. Sorry that didn’t help you.

1 Like

You can’t open MS Access files (mdb) without having the propper db engine installed. As Microsoft provides their JET engine for Windows only you should try Jackcess (https://jackcess.sourceforge.io/) or MDB Tools (https://sourceforge.net/projects/mdbtools/)

2 Likes

@andreas is right. I’m forced to work with windows on my job and had some Access DBs from the past to re-process.
My LibreOffice can open them but only because it’s under Windows…

May I suggest, you try DBeaver to extract your tables and queries?

Greetings
Fast Edi

1 Like

Thanks to all who replied, I am going to try Dbeaver (Fast.Edi):grinning:
Will keep trying
Bruno

1 Like

Thanks Fast.Edi, DBeaver is the first app I have been able to use successfully. Exported a few tables to csv and now able to continue creating a new Database. Using Symphytum for the moment, will create anotherr in Libre Base later.

1 Like

Bruno, if this is now solved can you mark it as solved on the solution that solved it for you please. It’s just we Moderators get a bit grumpy when we see things have been solved and there are not marked. It helps the community as well to know where to look if they have a similar problem. Thanks:grinning:

Apologies to all, I got so involved with the DBeaver app I forgot to mark as solved. Accept rap over knuckles - ‘OUCH’:flushed:

Glad you took it in the way it was meant Bruno :+1: Thanks for doing it