Opensuse Tumbleweed update question

Hi all,
I am still learning and trying things in Opensuse Tumbleweed. When trying the command “tumbleweed update” to install latest snapshot I wondered what the difference is to “Zypper dist-upgrade”…
Can anyone give me a hint?

1 Like

I use “zypper dup” as administrator and that works wonders. Never hear of “tumbleweed update”

1 Like

Apparently that is a new function introduced in Tumbleweed.

Have a look here:

https://news.opensuse.org/2021/03/19/entire-rebuild-of-tw-brings-enormous-updates/

With “tumbleweed update” you can update to latest snapshot.
But still I wonder if you get the same updates with “zypper dup”.

1 Like

I don’t know for sure. I would assume when you use the “zypper dup” it gives you the whole snapshot as it tells you you are going from snapshot a to snapshot b.

Hi all,

I am still on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed…
Does anybody know what the diffrenece between the software update tool does different than “sudo zypper up” and “sudo zypper dup” in terminal?

P.S. How can I add the “OpenSUSE” category to this thread?

1 Like

I update exclusively with the command line “zypper dup” on Tumbleweed because there is a lot more information shown in the command line than in the update tool. Also, it is easier to see if a certain RPM was updated in the command line. I can’t think of any other reason not to use the update tool. OpenSuSE is designed to do all things many ways. For updates, there are three ways to update. Command line, System Tray, and YAST - Software - Online Update, but for some reason, Online Update did not apply all the updates the last time I tried it 7 years ago. The point is OpenSuSE is designed to appeal to the gui based user and the command line based user. “zypper up”, I never used it, but I think it would notify you when you need to do a “zypper dup” but in my experience, “zypper dup” does a “zypper up” automatically when and update is all that is needed instead of a distribution update. I have advocated an OpenSuSE category before, but they don’t think there will be enough traffic. I hope this helps.

@Cicero Besides the update issues, how do you like Tumbleweed -OpenSuSE in general? I love it!

Hi @TrekJunky , I like it very much! As a rolling release you have allways recent SW packages installed. It also provides allways latest Kernels. I have it running as a virtual machine as my “home office computer” for work. This help not to mix up private and business machines.
To update and upgrade I use the terminal with Zypper up and dup command. Sometimes there are some inconsistencies with SW packages, but they are easy to resolve in most cases.

How is you experience?

1 Like

I have tried other distros, but always come back to OpenSuSE. I was afraid to try Tumbleweed when they came out with it, but once I did try it, I never looked back.

1 Like

It’s been a long long time since you posted. How is tumbleweed treating you?

Hi Cane,
I am still running tumbleweed in a VM. It runs quite well without major hickups. But for my daily work I still use WIN 10…shame on me… :slight_smile: But…it just works…and I am too lazy to change.

How is your experience with tumbleweed?

1 Like

I recently bought an ASUS USB LAN 2.5g speed for windows and linux. But it doesn’t work with Tumbleweed, so I switched to Manjaro and it works fine with Manjaro.

Strange that it does not work with tumbleweed … Tumbleweed should have the newest patches and drivers.

2 Likes

I tried all sorts of probable solutions, but nothing worked.It just works out of the box on Manjaro.

So that is a dongle… has to be ethernet at that speed.
Did it come with any info about linux drivers?
Are there any choices in Tumbleweed to get a later kernel… driver modules are part of the kernel package.
You said you tried things, so I may be asking useless questions.
Can lsusb see the device?

1 Like

Yes, lsusb can see it, but modprobe needed to be configured to see it at boot, but NetworkManager will not use it. I downloaded the latest driver from ASUS, but could not compile it - get errors.

You need help from ASUS. It should get through the compiler . They could not really release something that will not compile.

modprobe needed to be configured to see it at boot

That just means it does not autoload - ie not built into kernel and not detected at install time. Forcing it to load with modprobe is fine.

NetworkManager will not use it

can ip addr see it?
what does nmcli say?

lsusb can see it,

that means the OS can detect a device. Hardware present to the OS, nothing about software.

1 Like

I give up for a year or two